klipsch k77 aftermarket diaphragms

OO1

Dear forum members , Currently , I need to repair some of my K77 tweeters , there are 2 choices - the aftermarket diaphagms - 20 $ - or the whole cup that is a NOS original electrovoice part number - 40$ -

- are the aftermarket diaphragms doing a good job - or should one have to revert to the whole k77 cup to obtain good results -

-I spoke to a vendor of the aftermarket diaphragms , he said that they are being manufactured by the same outfit that used to make them for Electrovoice -

- Sales pitch or truth - any of you guys and gals have any feedback - thank you very much -

The complete assembly is self centering and only requires a screw driver to install. The loose coils are a PIA difficult to align and usally come with no gasket which means you have to try to reuse the old one.

Thanks Fritz ,

-Can I use the same EV cup to repair the EV ST350B units -( the double square magnet versions with the butt-cheeks horn ) these are better sounding than my K-77M

-I guess that I have to seperate the horn from the cup - when I did it on a k77M - it scared the hell out of me - I thought I broke the tweeter but I realised that they are sort off glued on , it is the same with the EV-ST350B - thanks -

None of the aftemarket bare diaphagms I have tested are any good. Most have almost no output below about 9khz.

The place that made them for EV is not making them now. So, that vendor told you wrong.

The place in the Philippines that makes the K-77F tweeters for Klipsch is making a pretty decent replacement diaphragm but it is only available preinstalled in the plastic housing like is used on the K-77M (square magnet) tweeters. This diaphragm can be used in the alnico K-77 also, but you have to discard the metal diaphragm housing and replace with the plastic. Right now that is the best option to keep the round magnet K-77s working.

Here is what the typical aftermarket bare diaphragm looks like in a test comparing it to an OEM diahragm in the same tweeter. They are selling hundreds of these junk diaphragms per month on Ebay right now, so chances are good that you will get one of these when you buy a used K-77 tweeter right now. Below, the blue is an OEM diaphragm and purple is the aftermarket.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819690389576_thumb.gif

Thanks Fritz ,

-Can I use the same EV cup to repair the EV ST350B units -( the double square magnet versions with the butt-cheeks horn ) these are better sounding than my K-77M

-I guess that I have to seperate the horn from the cup - when I did it on a k77M - it scared the hell out of me - I thought I broke the tweeter but I realised that they are sort off glued on , it is the same with the EV-ST350B - thanks -

you can use the replacement t-35 kit on the st-350B, but not the ST-350A. The B has 4 screws like the k-77, the A has 3 screws. ditto to what bob say's.