sub settings questions, thanks for your help

rmpotsy

hi guys, i need a little help. i have just moved into a new house and purchased a new receiver (denon 2112ci). The denon has the audyssey home theater calibration system and it seems to have worked very well as far as setting the levels for my front and surround speakers, i am set up for 5.1. now my question has to do with my sub. i am running kg 3.2s to the front channel and a sw-8 II subwoofer. i know the sub settings depend on the acoustics and size of the room as well as the placement of the sub, but i am curious as to what some of you experts would recommend i set the low pass and the level to on the sub. i would like to get some low end out of the kg 3.2s as well, but mainly from from the sub.

the sub is connected via the RCA jacks and a splitter to the single rca on the receiver, not through the speaker connections if that makes a difference.

also, my sub is placed in a cubby hole more or less. on its left is the back side of a short flight of stairs, on its right there is the outside of a built in desk/book shelf, and then the wall behind it. is this a good spot? i do not really have a corner it can be put in and i was wondering if having the sub in a three sided enclosure would cause issues.

i am mainly using this set up to listen to rock, some hip hop, and a little jazz, along with watching television and movies. if there is any other info needed, please let me know.

thanks for your help.

I have a KG 4.2 / KG 2.5 setup, and I set the front speakers all the way down to 45hz in my Integra. It is what sounded best with my system. The KG 2.5's are set at 60 hz. The LFE in the Integra is set at 120 hz. The sub dial is set up as high as it will go. I think 120hz. My sub is way bigger than yours (Paradigm DSP3200), and I have it sitting right there facing the listening position, right next to the left main. All I can say is play around with your settings. For the 3.2, I would probably set the mains at about 50 hz.

Good luck!

One more thing. Audyssey will set your speaker size to something it thinks is best. I went back after running it, and changed them to a different (bigger) size. I think it had them at something like 80 for the mains and 110 for the center. It sounded like crap. I changed them to 45 and 60, and the sound improved a lot.

Try moving the sub to several different locations and see what sounds best. Some people use the sub craw technique. I had to move my sub out of a corner because it was just to much re-enforment of the low frequencies. It was louder but not more pleasing in the corner. I also have all my speakers set to small for better bass management in my system which has MCACC for room correction, audyssey is quite different.