A New Project 4 Me

Ok. I will try again to post this º

I am going to actually build a listening room for myself, just me º

Room size, 20 feet wide, 15 feet deep, nine foot ceilings.

Right now I plan to make a 4.1 system out of University horns and then a Tempest sub.

240_jpg.jpg

and the inside of it¡K

050_jpg.jpg

specs on that sub are here, http://my.starstream.net/mk/tempest%20measurements/tempest_measurements.htm

So, what do you think about that sub?

Now, like I said, I was planning on making a 4.1 system using the University horns. This setup will be for music, and then movies. About a 60:40 ratio. No corners in the room are really useable, so corner horns are not going to work out.

The other speakers, as an alternative to the University¡¦s are the Adire KIT281¡¦s.

quote:

The KIT281 is our biggest kit. Intended for full-range, high efficiency reproduction, the KIT281 is an ideal match to low-power amps. The KIT281 features twin AV8 woofers, with a single TM025F1 Audax tweeter, mounted in a modified MTM arrangement. Combined into one of several recommended cabinets, the KIT281 can reach as low as the mid 30s, without breaking a sweat. And with a rated sensitivity of 92 dB SPL @ 2.83 Vrms, it needs very little power to reach high SPL levels.

The KIT281 is fully video shielded, making it an ideal product for use in modern home theaters, where high SPLs are a must.

The KIT281 is available as a complete package for $184.50 per speaker ($369 for a pair). This kit includes all drivers, crossovers, input cups, and mounting hardware you'll need to build with. In short, everything but the cabinet and vents (must be purchased separately). Not too shabby!

Here is a graphic of the performance of the KIT281¡¦s

VentedFrequencyResponse.gif

This is an anechoic response measurement, 1/3rd octave smoothed, measured at 1 meter distance, for all frequencies above 175 Hz (blue). The bass response (red) was close-mic'd, and spliced in below 175 Hz. As you can see, the response is ¡Ó3 dB from F3 (in this case, 39 Hz) to 20 kHz. Fairly well controlled overall. Additionally, the system has an average sensitivity of 92 dB SPL @ 2.83 Vrms. It doesn't take a lot of power to get these babies up and running!

Basic system specifications are as follows:

Frequency Response VENTED: 39 Hz to 20 kHz, ¡Ó3 dB

SEALED: 66 Hz to 20 kHz, ¡Ó3 dB

TRANSMISSION LINE: 41 Hz to 20 kHz,¡Ó3 dB

Impedance Nominal 4 ohms

Sensitivity 92 dB SPL @ 2.83 Vrms

Power Handling 150W RMS, long-term

Here is a finished set º

281pair.jpg

I will make a CC81 for my center, but that will be later on when I really need it, since this is mostly for music, I can certainly live w/o it.

So, a 4.1 out of the University¡¦s and the Tempest or a 4.1 System out of the KIT281¡¦s and the Temptest?

Thanks!

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

A fella brought a pair of those KIT281s to one of our horn club meetings (at Alfredo's house, if the meeting had been one of those at my house I wouldn't have let them in the door, seriously)and they sounded, well, OK. Just another (yawn) direct-radiator. Didn't hold a candle to Alfredo's JBL horns. 92db is low efficiency, don't let them kid you.

bump...

not going wit the kit 281's now, sounds likethey are just mediocre, bu if ayone has the plans or know where i can buy the plans for a RF-7 TYPE speaker, as teh KIT281's are, let me know. i am going to build the university's, but i also want to have some tower speakers, theseill bepu tin a room of their own fo rmovies. i am addicted now, it is official! would be nice if they souned like RF-7s i really like the onse that i go to test out,

i would buy the speakers, but i want to make them Smile.gif so, what can i do from here?

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

Justin---Would the Adire HE-10 suit you? That's a nice sounding compact speaker kit with a 10" Eminence and an Eminence compression driver mounted piggy-back firing through the woofer pole-piece using the woofer cone as the horn, just like a Tannoy or Radian. They sounded very nice to me at the Midwest Audio Fest and lots of people were impressed. Good price too. Efficiency is around 96db, not bad.

thanks. looks promising. only one driver? i have always wanted at least a two way speaker, but i will read some reviews and see what ppl think about it.

thanks for the suggestion!

more suggestions are VERY welcome Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support