Would N series Cornwalls have Alnico magnets?

Hello,

I finally thought to check the serial #'s on my Cornwalls and they appear to be N's (1977?). They seem to have the metal midrange and tweeter. All good so far. When did Klipsch switch from Alnico to ferrite magnets? I've thought about getting some EV T-35's with Alnico magnets for the tweeters.

Anyone ever done that?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

The Alnico tweeters are easily identified by their round magnet. The ceramic "mud" magnets are square. I believe the change was made in late 1979. By the way "mud" refers to the way the slurrie mix looks before it is fired to make the ceramic magnets, not because the drivers are inferior. The ceramic K77-M (mud) is a good tweeter.

Klipschguy

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the K55-V has an alnico magnet. As for your K33-B woofer I'm not really sure. Anyway, your Cornwalls you have a superb compliment of drivers. Also those solid baltic birch plywood cabinets (with walnut veneer on yours?) are first rate. Note: baltic birch plywood is a superior hard wood, nine-ply plywood which doesn't have any voids - outstanding quality, quite expensive.

Those Cornwalls you bought are built to last a lifetime. Enjoy.

Klipschguy