questions - klf-20 upgrade and biamp

WVPaul

I am interested in upgrading my KLF-20's with ti diaphragm for tweeters and midrange. If I'm reading correctly I must order the tweeter diaphragm from Bob crites. Now a stupid question, how? Am I suppose to call, do I need a part number? I've looked at the webpage and I'm not sure how to order what I might need.

Also, do I order the ti diaphragm midrange from Bob Crites or Klipsch. I called Klipsch trying to order ti diaphragms for midrange, and they said they can't order anything without a part number. Does anyone know a part number?

I am also interested in getting a DBX 223 crossover and bi-amping. If I understand what I've read its best to remove the passive internal crossover. If I remove the passive internal crossover, whats the best way to connect the tweeter / midrange speakers, and bass speakers to the speaker inputs?

Hello. You can go to the web page and on the left side scroll down untill you see "contact us". Then you can email Bob Crites or call him directly. He will know what you are talking about when you tell what you want.

Regarding active crossover. Some people go 2 way by disconnecting the woofer from the internal xover and connecting it to you low frequency amp. Take your high frequency amp and hook it up to the internal xover bypassing the woofer section. This way you will continue to use the internal xover between the midrange and tweeter.

Set you xover to the appropriate xover points the same as factory settings.

Another way is to go totally 3 way. Disconnect all the speakers from the internal xover and connect them to the respective amplifier. You will need a 3 way stereo xover and 3 stereo amplifiers to do it this way. You can run the speaker wires in through the port. If you are ok with cutting the speaker cabinet mount 2 more wire terminals and disconnect the internal xover from the existing terminal. Then wire each speaker to it own terminal on the back of the speaker.

I'm sure I missed something or there are other ways to multi amp your speakers.

Big question. What do you hope to gain. Your speakers are already quite efficient. It is somewhat costly for what in my thoughts will be a small gain.

good Luck and enjoy.

Thanks, I will email him.

My fronts are KLf-20's I only want to upgrade their tweeters and midrange to ti diaphgragm. But there is more to the story,

The center is the one I want to go to an active xover. I'll explain, the original speaker was a KLF-C7, I use my system 99% of the time for Hometheater. I have a hard time hearing dialogue. Since the KLF-C7 is a two way, I felt a three way setup would work better, so, the first thing I did was rebuild the center speaker. I ordered the KLF-20 tweeter, midrange, and xover from Klipsch, I used the bass speakers from the KLF-C7. I used measurements from the KLF-20 and KLF-C7 to build the speaker carcus. I amped the front stage with (3) UPA-1 amps powering the fronts and the center, I also have DBX equalizers on the fronts and the center. Right now I'm pretty happy with it. But I have heard that when done right an external active xover and bypassing the internal passive crossovers, will amplify only the range you choose and results are good when bi-amping. I would use a UPA-1 amp to power hi/mid and a UPA-1 to power bass. My final results are to have perfect dialogue without ruining the whole front stage. This whole project has been going on for about 3 years. Originally I adjusted my level calibrations to compensate for the C7, the C7 was 0db and the 20's were -12db, now the center speaker is -4db and the 20's are -7.5. Also, I want to upgrade the centers tweeters and midrange to the ti diaphragms.

Thanks, again.

Welcome to the greatest klipsch forum on line in the world. I would recommend looking at the thread by SET12 (forum member here) over at audikarma.org on his Forte crossover upgrafe ;png but great read. also have a look at the KLF20 I braced up and reworked for my daughter last summer also at AK here http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=372783&highlight=klf20

The ti mids are only available from Klipsch and worth every penny. Brace the cabinets modify the drivers and damp them and flip one of the woofers then wire in reverse phase as that will cancel out suspenaion non lineraties. You might also time align the tweeters and the mid horns as well. That out to be enought to get you started and me flamed. Have fun and welcome again to a fanastic forum which is a community and as such an extension of your family. Welcome home bro. Best regards Moray James.

Thanks moray,

I will look through set12 and your projects, I just registered on audiokarma but it says I have to wait to be approved, or something like that.

Is there a part number for the ti mids from Klipsch, they informed me that was the only way I could order a ti diaphragm.

Thanks again.