RF-7 II + Powered Sub - What settings?

rustolem

Okay looking at a purchase of the RF-7ii - RC-64ii and a powered sub, this will be connected to a Yamaha RX-A3000 and here's my question.

What speakers setting would be recommened for this setup when it comes to my avr.

I want to listen to music but would like to have the sub involved when doing so, but was under the impression that the only way to achieve that is to set the fronts to small.

If doing this will it affect the quality of sound that comes out the fronts when listening to 5.1 surround with movies?

I am currently using a set of Goldenear Triton Two Towers Sat50 center channel and no sub and have deciced the just don't have the volume that I had in my old Polk setup with large center and sub.

Thanks for any responses.

Your tower can be set to large, but if you are using a sub with them there can be cancellation issues, phase issues, re-enforment of certain bass frequencies and standing wave problem. Listening to music with a good sub can make the experience better. Setting the speakers to small avoid a lot of the above problems and turns over the bass management to the avr. Speakers set to Large=no bass managemet, Speaker set to small= bass management for the system.

Hey thanks for your response, so does music sound better with the fronts set to small so that the sub is involved.

And is there a difference in sound in movies when the fronts are on either large or small as long you have the right crossover settings?

Thanks

Guest davidness

I have the RF-7's and RSW-12 + RSW-15. I run the RF-7's as "small" and the crossover point somewhere around 85Hz (I forget exactly where, but around there). Music sounds awesome this way. But play around with it at various settings with various music/movies and use whatever setting you like best.