NAD M3 or Conrad Johnson MF-2500

ChipByrd

I am looking to move up a bit in the power department. I currently have a Cambridge Audio 840a. It is nice, but I want to take a step forward. I have decided I am not quite ready to make the move to tubes. Anyway...

I have been looking at the NAD M3, which means I would still be using an integrated. And I have been also considering a different route--the CJ MF-2500, which mean I will need a pre. The NAD M3 and CJ + pre will be in the same $$ ballpark. So there are a couple factors: newer/older and int amp/separates. Because of my location I won't be able to audition them (which would make this a lot easier). So I was hoping to get some input from you guys.

Thanks,

Chip

I haven't heard those particular models, but I've been around a few NAD and CJ amps and preamps in the past. Based on that I would predict that the NAD will be more linear, defined, and punchy; the CJ somewhat softer and smoother.

If you're leaning in the tube direction, I'd say try the CJ. But I don't think you can go far wrong with either.

Lou

So... Any thoughts?

Hello Chip- Help us assess the situation more thoroughly. Those are not exactly inexpensive items, so lets consider a few things to make sure your money is well spent.

Are you considering a change for the sake of more power? Do you genuinely need more than you have now? (You may need more than you think, depending on room size. After all, the demand for power still increases exponentially as the volume goes up, even if we get a jump start from the high sensitivity of our Klipsch.) I doubt you would realize much more than trivial gains over what you presently have, at great expense. The NAD M3, for example, wouldn't yield more than a few paltry db over your CA840. You would need to kick it up to 1500 watt type power for appreciable gains.

I messed around with the NAD M3 long ago. It is impressive in appearance, with the typical, uncolored ss amp sound, with big lungs. (That's a good thing in my book; if I want a distinct signature I have tube amps for that.) It has an unconventional 'spectral tilt' tone control which could work quite well in some situations. At that time, I ended up buying a brand new C372 for a small fraction of the price. It's only blown up once so far.[:|] (If, or when, it blows up again, I will take a hard look at ATI. They make the amps for Outlaw, Cinepro, and several others. They also sell direct, on a small scale. Made in USA, 7 yr warranty, no nonsense quality engineering.) I'm sure the Masters Series are Not Always Defective and presumably adhere to higher quality standards.