Should i keep longing for a tube amp , GOSH, or sell my RF3s an get ENERGY C6

quadklipsh

i hate to say this but here are my feelings .

since i have not been able to justify with my klipsch over the past 4 years by finding an appropriate amp for it ( any tube amp)

or perhaps i have been using the wrong source / cd player which is a sony X33ES .

two days ago i had an audition of a couple of nice speakers . they were the

B&Ws C II,

martin logans source ,

and a vintage tannoy 10 inch dual concentric speaker .

i prefferred the tannoy over the rest for it was 6 to 7 times cheaper and had a great sound .

i just found out that the tannoy got sold the same day and is now 1200 kms away from where i live .

damn....[:'(]

theres another speaker recommended to me which costs 20% more than the RF3 that i have ;but people say it should be more satisfying with my amps...

it will have a musical speaker sound and not an AV speaker sound that are good for movies mostly ....like the smaller reference line ....

i remember of not preferring the sound of energy speakers when i had the audition a few yrs ago but it was a different energy model .it wasnt C6.

now this C6 is available .

for amplification

i use a marantz pm6

and a quad 303

and i do plan for an upgrade to my cd player to a denon 1510, ( dont know if it surely is an upgrade or not , but my sony is a robust cdplayer with excellent transport .thats why im holding on to it for so long )

so heres my BIGGGGG question,

should i give up on my beloved RF3 as i havent found any tube amp in years ,

should i give up all the high sensitivity offering

give up the dynamics and power handling and the details that the klipsch is well known for .

and get an energy C6 speaker which i havent heard ??????

which is supposed to be better sounding .... according to few experts that i know here ....

please put up your ideas soon and guide me ...

thanks

If I were you I wouldn't buy any new speakers that I couldn't listen to first.

Most of the members on this forum live in the United States, so it's hard to comment on the new and used audio market in your area. If you've tried your best for many years to find an affordable tube amp and come up with nothing, maybe your best option is to keep an eye out for speakers that you know you like (Tannoy) and to keep listening to others that may work better with your gear and ears. I would suggest maybe a tube CD player or pre-amp to tame the sound of the RF-3's but those are likely just as hard to come by. You could also try postioning the speakers on a different wall or in a different room or even go so far as to try room treatments (acoustic material that absorbs sound) to try and reduce some of the brightness but not everyone is open to that and there is probably a lot of trial and error to get things sounding right. No easy answer - sorry.

yeah youre right ,

but that leaves me more lazy and goin out n do anything, selling and getting new stuff is easier here if not much cash is involved in the trade but no one here goes out and puts in energy into room treatment and those who do try get happy with even the most modest speakers around

There are ways other than tube amps to get tube sound into your system. You could try a tube preamp. Or you could try tube buffer stage, like the Decware Zbox or the Decware Zstage.

I don't know what power is in Pakistan, but the Decware items both come in 120V and 240V versions. Shipping might be another issue.

What is it that you're missing that you think some tubes will give you in your system?

Lou

• Like 1

I might get flamed for saying this, but here goes...

If your source is CD (ie. digital) then you owe it to yourself to ditch the idea of ever getting the best sound out of an analog amplifier (tubes or SS).

Seek out an older Panasonic SA-XR or one of the new Pioneer series with the new D3 chip amps. Your ears won't believe what they're hearing. Digital audio bliss. No [bs].

As far as getting the most of the RF-3's..I think there's some room where Pioneer's MCACC could also work some magic in there for you. [Y]