Pioneer DV-47A Universal Player

http://www.audioreview.com/DVD,Players/Pioneer,Elite,DV-47a/PRD_130212_1587crx.aspx

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/Equipment/articledisplay.asp?ArticleID=116

Also, the May issue of Home theater rated it:

Build Quality- 88

Value- 95

features- 97

Performance- 92

Ergonomics- 92

The June issue of Stereophile Guide to home theater gave this machine a VERY good review as well.

I have only had it a couple of weeks, but I can tell you I LOVE this player! I am impressed with everything I play in it. Flawless...(so far)

Everything works smooth as silk. DVDa and SACD are both FANTASTIC to say the very least.

You will like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

This message has been edited by Mikekid on 05-27-2002 at 05:14 PM

MikeKid,

Thanks for the review and links. I didn't want to wait any longer to jump into these new audio formats. Everyday new titles are coming out which is promising. I have a Pioneer DV-414, now, which was rated high for video and ok for audio quality. The player weighs like 6 pounds or something. However, this player has served me well. I have no complaints. Some say the player is bright without detail but I would have to disagree. I found that the 414 is very revealing. When I play a CD that is mixed properly my system sounds incredible. I also have Cornwall speakers which are also revealing. Synthesized music doesn't sound as good as some other CD's. I've heard that SACD and DVD-A is suppose to sound very tube like with more dynamics. I wonder how many CD's are actually mixed to sound good on stock car audio systems and low end systems. If the new formats are really tube like I will be a very happy person. I already ordered Fleetwood Mac, Billy Joel and the Eagles in each high rez format that they were available in. Now I may have to slowly replace all my cd's with these new formats. I'll be running Cornwalls for mains, and Heresys for a center and sorround sound speakers. For an amp I have the Sherbourn 5/1500, a Newcastle preamp and the Pioneer 47A as my player (soon to be). I think I'm done upgrading for a while. Oh yeah. Pioneer guarantees a 3 year upgrade for any new audio formats that should come along. This is very cool.

You will love DVD-a / SACD, I am sure of it.

I only have the Rumours DVD-a, and Billy Joel 52nd st SACD so far. They both sound AMAZING. I'm going to start buying them as they are released. I only have a CRT type tv, so can't comment on the progressive scan just yet. The picture quality for what I have though is great! I finally got to hear my Eagles "Hell freezes over" DVD in DTS for the first time since I have owned it..(a couple years). Man, what a difference!!! I was only able to play it in stereo before due to the lack of a DTS decoder. With the speakers you have there, this is going to be a real treat for ya. Be sure that you read the SACD labels. Some are in hi-res stereo, some in multi-channel.

SACD/DVDA were made for Klipsch speakers!!!!!!

I have:

ChorusII main front

Academy center

KG 1.5 rear surrounds

KG .5 front effects (Yamaha RX-V3000 feature)

SW12II sub.

Let us know how it goes when you get it!

Take care trader

Oh ya...read the manual. I was screwin' up setting this up with out it at first. Excellent manual for a change.

Mike

Atom,

I received my player today but was only able to test 2 channel audio using the players DACS. I thought the sound was great. Detailed and smooth. I actually heard things I didn't hear that clearly with my older player. I also listened to some DTS downmixed to 2 channel stereo and that sounded great too. When I get my SACD's and DVD-A's I'll give a full report.

Hi,

I finally got my first SACD disc to try out in the 47A player. Here goes:

I listed to both the CD version and SACD recordings of Billy Joel's stranger album. I thought that the noise floor was a little lower on the CD version. However, the dynamics and resolution on the SACD disc was much better. However, I wouldn't jump up and down about what a difference it was. The music was a littler richer and fuller. What I liked most was the multichannel imaging. However, I've listed to many DTS discs where the music was just as dynamic. I still think that how the material is recorded makes the most difference and perhaps newer releases which are setup for SACD, from the getgo, will take more advantage of this new medium. All in all the player is awesome. Bass management and gain settings are availabe via an OSD which is easy to use and makes changes in real time. I also like that the player automatically syncs to any disc you give it which is unlike my preamp where I have to guess the input. 2 channel stero sounds great in the player too and DTS and DD were also good. I couldn't see much of a difference between the DACS of my preamp and the player for stereo But DTS and DD sounded better..I could hear things I couldn't hear before with my preamp's decoding. I am happy with this player and would buy it again in a minute. I also tried out the Fleetwood Mac Rumors DVD-A and thought that it sounded incredible. I don't know of it was the higher sampling rate of a new mix but I could hear things in this release I can't hear in the CD release.

This message has been edited by trader on 06-04-2002 at 09:39 PM

Thanks for getting back on this player trader.

Good review!

The titles I have so far......

Fleetwood Mac Rumours DVD-a A+

Foreigner DVD-a B+

Eagles Hotel California DVD-a A+

Billy Joel 52nd Street Multi SACD B+

Paul McCartney & Wings Band On The Run 5.1 DTS B

I am looking for Alan Parsons I Robot DVD-a still.

Don't want to pay Amazon price...but am getting impatient,Ha! (It's only $$$)

Take care

Mike (The Yamaha Underdog)