A-DSX Timbre Matching

hjones4841

My system is set up for Audyssey DSX 11.2 (Denon AVR-A100 with Emotiva external amps). All channels except for the height speakers are Heritage - K'horns, Belle, Heresy IIIs. The heights are RB-81 IIs. Would there be any audible benefit to swapping the RB-81s for another set of Heresy IIIs? My initial thoughts are that timbre matching is not that important for "derived" channels like A-DSX. Full discrete channels likely would be different.

Your thoughts? Thanks.

for the sake of timbre matching you'd want more heritage. Test it out and if you like the way it sounds, keep it. There is an obvious size difference too between the rb-81's and any of the heritage.

I have always stuck by trying to have matching components but the ancillary surrounds to me don't have to be the timbre matched speakers. The heritage line does have a warmer sound than most of the klipsch stuff i have listened to so there may be an audible difference. I would mix synergy with reference and from different years if they are just surrounds but thats just me. I would prefer not to but would if it was the only option at the time.

Thanks for the reply. When I bought the RB-81s I had recently bought Heresy IIIs for the wides, so I decided to compromise. Plus the RB-81s were certainly easier to hang on the wall with heavy duty Omnimounts. It sounds fine, but the extra efficieny and better timbre match of hanging another set of Heresy IIIs might be worth it. Let me get the wife's new furniture delivered first, know what I mean? [:D]

After several days of trying to talk myself out of it, I ordered another pair of walnut Heresy IIIs for the height channels. Should be here tomorrow. Got them from Vanns. As you know, Heritage is very hard to find in stock anywhere. Vanns had one in MT, another one in KY. I called the "factory store." None in stock. Guess I was mistaken about buying Heritage direct. What I was told is that they send them thru a local dealer with up to 8 weeks delivery; no store close to me anymore for Heritage. So, online made sense.

I use a pair of 60lb rated Omnimounts for the RB-81s. Not pleased with that mounting; very wobbly until the compression bolt on the ball is very tight. Not going to do that to the Heresys. Gonna use a wood shelf attached to studs in the wall. Think I will reverse the Heresy risers to put a slight tilt down.

I will post my impressions of the difference after re-running Audyssey Pro calibration.

To answer my own question, yes timbre matching does make a difference for height speakers on DSX. The new H IIIs came in yesterday and I had a chance to mount them in place of the RB-81s and re-run Audyssey Pro. The result is a better blend from the wides to the heights and from the mains to the heights. Quite noticeable on "flyovers" on Avatar - perhaps the best demo of the benefits of 11.x DSX. When the RB-81s were turned on, they called attention to themselves. The H IIIs don't. You know they are there, but there is no distinct difference in the sound. Not sure why, but the derived height channels sound less "phasey" than with the RB-81s. Guess that is either real or placebo[:)]