6.2 setup with DTS decoder

chucky7

I have been shopping for computer speakers for so long and thank god someone reminded me of the new and improved pro 4.1...

Well, I was gonna buy midiland but after hearing that 4.1 have made huge improvements, I decided to get 4.1 and 2.1, and hook them up to a 6.2

I am also getting a DTS decoder, the one that is made by the manufacturer of ADS2000 for midiland. As many people have had the very same idea, what are the really drawbacks of such setup?

I've always thought that this hookup (with the 2.1 hooked up to the center/sub) would give me a lot of bass and the possibility of having one front and one rear sub... But some other people have said that the 2 sats for the 2.1 would not make good center speakers and that the sub for 2.1 would become almost useless. Is this true? please help me!!! frown.giffrown.gif

The ADS2000 doesn't decode DTS. It does not provide a full bass to the rear channels.

The Panasonic SH-AC500D will give you DTS decoder and a couple of extra features.

http://www.excelsis.com/vote/av/receivers/Techni4/

I think the last count on movie sound was the SDDS surround, a 7.2 set-up used in theatres.

So if you're going to keep up with the formats, buy 2 sets of 4.1's.

http://dvd.ign.com/news/16684.html

Maybe that should be 3 sets.

Please read carefully...

I did not say that I am getting ADS2000..

I said that I am getting a DTS decoder made by the manufacturer of ADS2000

The reason I said that is I am getting the DTS decoder in Taiwan and I am not sure if this product is available in the States.

Regardless, thanks anyways...

But can anyone really answer my questions???

Is the ad-300 the same as the ads2000 but with a newer decoder chip? It may have the same limitations. One of those limitations is not mixing sub frequencies into the rear channels. You can do a search of this board for links to the review of the ads2000 for more details.

I guess I have to tell you that the pros are set up to use a full range signal(the bass is not a separate jack), and has it's own crossover.

Have you checked out the specs of the 2.1's? 2x35 for the sats? 1 cone sub w/65 watts? They can't swing with the 4's if they don't have the power, right?

When you mentioned setting them up as 6.2 I thought you referred to the Dolby Digital-Surround EX, which is 6.1.

If you have 2 sets of 4.1's you can do that and SDDS Surround when decoders are available.

You can buy a Quint satellite from Amy and pull that old amp out for your center channel.

If you use the ad-300's mixdown to 4ch feature you won't bother until the other formats hit the home market.

Did you see

TMH 10.2

Tomlinson Holman's latest multi-channel audio design. Theoretically discrete sound can now be placed in 12 separate channels allowing for a more "psychoacoustically efficient" means of audio reproduction.

3 sets.

The AD300 uses Motorolas chip to decode DTS and AC-3 signals, where as the ADS2000 uses Zoran Chip to decode AC-3 only. The only other difference is that the layout at the back of these decoder boxes are somewhat different: ADS2000 has a G9 and 1 line, 1 surround, 1 center and 1 subwoofer output that looks like earplugs but AD300 has a G9, and 6 RCA outputs designated for left, right, left-surround, right-surround, sub and center. This means that the AD300 is more compatible with stereo amplifier and speakers, as well as other multimedia speakers while ADS2000 is more compatible with 8200 only.

What I really wanna know is how the 2.1 as center channel will sound.

Also, has the new 4.1 got rid of the old problems such as crakling and interference on the V2-400 with the new CP-1??? Please help!!!!!!!

Some of these guys would say a y-splitter into both channels of the 2.1 works and others say 1 35 watt sat is enough for a center channel.

I think the difference in price of the 4.1 @ 400 watts or the 2.1 @ 135 watts is a no brainer.

The Quintet sat matches the 4.1's sats' appearance, and you can hide the swapmeet center channel amp out of sight.

Then when you play games with 4ch eax or a3d you use the front and rear miniplug to analog inputs of the AD-300, and use your remote to switch between 4ch and s/pdif.

As for the pops, I havn't had that prob with my v2-400's.

Where are you purchasing this decoder from? I was about to get the midiland, but obviously this one looks better... can you post if you find a distributor?

I don't know about this decoder, but the ads2000 doesn't downmix the LFE, so to get full effect you would need another sub. My friend is building one for me just for that purpose. It will cost about $150 canadian with amp. The sound quality is not as good as the promedia sub, but it shakes the room a whole lot more, this is why it is perfect to use for the lfe channel.

For the center I agree with rol1, it would be better to just use one sat, a quint or a pro. Or an inexpensive powered monitor...

------------------

Caring is the first step toward disappointment.

The design for AD300 is somewhat different from ADS2000 since ADS2000 is more exclusively for 8200 or multimedia speakers that do not have woofers on the satellite speakers. ADS2000 then forces the bass signals of the center and surround speakers into the subwoofer. However, like I said before, AD300 is more compatible with audio speakers and does not have the limitations of the ADS2000.

I think the 2.1's for center is a great idea which will sound great and match your other speakers accoustics perfectly. All you have to do is get a y-adapter so that sound will come from both channels of the 2.1's. Then have the sat's on either side of your monitor and the stereo speakers (right left)further apart. This setup will work very good seeing as usually more than half of the sound from a movie is from the center channel. The sub from the 2.1's would not be useless either. It will just play the bass from the center channel (and there is bass in the center channel). My only suggestion is to get an extra powered sub for the LFE channel from the DTS or dolbby digital. Your pro's will not play the bass from that channel. They will only play the bass that is included with their respective channels.

My plans are pretty much the same as your's, but I'm going to have 3 sets of 2.1's and a powered HT sub with a 5.1 channel soundcard.