Mcintosh Power for Klipschorns MC2105 vs. MC7106

Edroom

This is a rather specific question....I hope someone out there can offer an opinion to help!

I currently am powering my Klipschorns with Mcintosh C-28 preamp and a Mc2105 105 watt power amp, these are basicaly matched pieces from the same time period and have been restored / recapped.

My c-28 has an output for a center channel, which shares the source from left and right and outputs to a third amplifier.

I picked up a Belle to use as the center, but now I need another amp channel, I have been loooking for a Mc250 or 2100 but the cost is a bit prohibitive and haven't bought one yet.

Here is the question...I have a chance to trade my MC 2105 plus a few hundred dollars for a MC 7106, which is bridgeable to 3 channels and would fill the need for a third amp (with more power also). I am afraid topull the trigger as my 2105 is matched to the C-28 is a "2 channel analog amp" and the 7106 is considered a "home theater amp". I do not have the option of auditioning at home for comparison the new amp in advance of making my decision.

An internet search yielded mixed reviews with a couple calling the older electronics more "musical" and the newer more detailed and "sterile" whatever all that means..I do know that my Adcom 5800 sounded a little better than the MC2105 when I used it in the system as I noticed a little more detail, and I liked that for all its worth, but I prefer the asthetics of the Mcintosh in my Living Room 2 Channel set up.

Anyone have an opinion to share?

Thanks!

Ed

Well, I did the deal, it was tough to hand over my beautifull 2105 with its walnut case but the 7106 is an extremely nice looking unit its own way and achieves the goal I need. I will post after I get it all hooked up and auditioned.

Ed

The MC7106 is a 900W 6-Channel Amp which was a part of my McIntosh THX home theater system for a long time. It is matched well with my MX-130 Pre. It is quite musical, however, IMO it does not compare to the MC2105 as far as music is concerned. I still have both amps but they are no longer in service.

This is a rather specific question....I hope someone out there can offer an opinion to help!

I currently am powering my Klipschorns with Mcintosh C-28 preamp and a Mc2105 105 watt power amp, these are basicaly matched pieces from the same time period and have been restored / recapped.

My c-28 has an output for a center channel, which shares the source from left and right and outputs to a third amplifier.

I picked up a Belle to use as the center, but now I need another amp channel, I have been loooking for a Mc250 or 2100 but the cost is a bit prohibitive and haven't bought one yet.

Here is the question...I have a chance to trade my MC 2105 plus a few hundred dollars for a MC 7106, which is bridgeable to 3 channels and would fill the need for a third amp (with more power also). I am afraid topull the trigger as my 2105 is matched to the C-28 is a "2 channel analog amp" and the 7106 is considered a "home theater amp". I do not have the option of auditioning at home for comparison the new amp in advance of making my decision.

An internet search yielded mixed reviews with a couple calling the older electronics more "musical" and the newer more detailed and "sterile" whatever all that means..I do know that my Adcom 5800 sounded a little better than the MC2105 when I used it in the system as I noticed a little more detail, and I liked that for all its worth, but I prefer the asthetics of the Mcintosh in my Living Room 2 Channel set up.

Anyone have an opinion to share?

Thanks!

Ed

Bill,

I have plans for the Adcom, thanks for the offer!

Here is a pic! The Polk SDA's in the front are in the way, they are for sale if anyone is interested!

I finaly got time to listen to my new amp and it is fantastic! Much more open and airy, I hear an improvement in Imaging and the detail in the high end is much improved! The Bass is tighter and stronger also. I am surprised at how much better it sounds than my 2105 did (and the 2105 just had a recap).

post-30712-13819735084108_thumb.jpg

post-30712-1381976578038_thumb.jpg

post-30712-13819792710364_thumb.jpg