Alk Universals Autoformer Tap Settings

krell

I have a pair of Khorns and I am running ALK universals, B&C DCM50's on Dave's Eliprtac horn and CT125's. Have any other members here had a similar set up and in particular, what autoformer taps did you finally settle on. When moving from the K55 to the DCM50 I had to attenuate quite a bit due to the impedance change and efficiency etc. I have it dialed in pretty good now but am curious to what others did in similar situations. Dave had a thread recently on balancing the output of drivers but its a little out of my comfort zone. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance

I have a pair of Khorns and I am running ALK universals, B&C DCM50's on Dave's Eliprtac horn and CT125's. Have any other members here had a similar set up and in particular, what autoformer taps did you finally settle on. When moving from the K55 to the DCM50 I had to attenuate quite a bit due to the impedance change and efficiency etc. I have it dialed in pretty good now but am curious to what others did in similar situations. Dave had a thread recently on balancing the output of drivers but its a little out of my comfort zone. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance

The balance between the drivers is one of the most important things. It alters the whole characteristics of the sound. You do need a bit of flexibility on the autoformer. I usually back the mids off a tad too much & then bring them back until the sound just starts to crispen up. Pick out an album that you know that the recording is not too dull & not too bright & use that as your reference........I've just switched from the standard K55's to some GPA 399's & after a lot of experimenting I ended up at -10.4db for the mids & -5db for my JBL 2404 tweeter............so that's X & 3 on the autoformer......attenuation for the tweeter is via Al's transformer attenuator...............the CT 125 isn't as hot as the JBL, so that may be OK........oh & previously with the K55's I was at X & 4, which is -6.2 db.

• Like 1

sootshe,

Thats funny because those are precisely the taps that I have settled on both now with the B&C, and formerly with the K55's. I am still curious what others have settled on in similar conditions.

Thanks