Holman preamps - not for vinyl. Opine please.

BentMike

I need a preamp, and I am after affordable vintage. If I get a Holman one or two, what say ye? I see they are favored for use with phono, but none of the reviews discuss them outside that topic.

Can they be a good buy? Durable? Repairable if faulty?.

I read about mods for them, is much written about tried and true ways to do that?.

Thanks for helping..

BentMike

At $150-250, they are a great value in preamps. Quiet, detailed and well-built with quality parts. They are leaps and bounds above anything you can buy new for that price and as bonus, the phono section (MM/MC) is outstanding. Its highly adjustable and compares to all but the finest phono pres in the sub-$1K range. Some folks would rate the preamp higher but I find it a bit on the analytical side - lean and crisp. I'm sure it turned heads in its day but there are better-sounding linestages built today under $1500. Still, the phono section is more than worth the price and you can always use it as a dedicated phono pre as you upgrade preamps.

Because of its complexity, it is a ***** to repair. Make sure you buy one that has been competently maintained and has a warranty, if buying from a dealer. If a private sale, get all the maintenance records. If it comes with neither, plan on having it in the shop within a year due to it being 30 years old and needing repairs.

Again I stress that this is as complex a preamp as you can find. Don't expect years of trouble free use unless it is in tip top shape.

It is a very good pre, and the amp is even better.

Dave,

I never heard of maintenance for a SS amp. Is this peculiar to the Apt Holman or are there a lot of pres that need this?

And perhaps most important, what r constitutes this typical maintenance and repair?

And then, who can do it?

I have a copy of the AH stereo preamplifier one service manual, I haven't seen one for the preamplifier two.

The preamp is the high maintenance bitcx. The amp is both as straight forward and simple as the pre is complex. I bought mine new in 1980, and was fighting one channel for the next twenty years on the preamp. The amp had new output transistors installed five years ago. Almost all SS amps need to have their bias checked to verify proper operation. Who can do it? - well, where are you? There are a number of good techs around the country. Boston is the epicenter for Apt/Holman.

Dave,

I am in North Carolina. I was asking because I could do it myself if it is a predicable occurrence.

I am handy with a soldering iron though less so with a schematic. I have access to good scopes, and a spectrum analyzer.

My inclination would be to learn how to manage it myself.

Also, I keep reading about Vince, who may mod them, but to what end I don't know.

However, I haven't bought one yet, I am trying to learn the difference between the one and the two models. I am not sure I would care enough too fix very subtle degradation of function. I don't think of myself as an audiophile and I have a slightly bum left ear.

I like fixing old things so that attracts me, but there is a practical and attentional limit for me - hence this information gathering effort.

Thanks for all the help; please, everybody keep talking,

BentMike

Dave,

Thanks for that! I don't know how I missed that. I really thought the One was a preamp, too. Do you mean the One is an integrated amp/preamp?

I am still very curious about these Holmans but I just bought a NAD 1020. It has a good reputation for being at a really good price point. One reviewer said you could spend 5 or 6 times more and not get more than incremental improvements.

I can't really judge that comment or anyone else comments because I am so new to this, so the lower cost option seems sensible to me until I learn more. It sounds like the Holman have hidden costs that are not a problem for many people, but they are important enough for me to be hesitant.

I think I have a nice vintage starter system now. All in good shape: 2 Polk Audio 5A way with a radiator (I already am sure I like listening to these and I need small for now), the NAD 1020 - allegedly very well cared for, and a nearly new Crown D-75A.

I will put new caps in the speakers, and am looking at applying the mdeneen mods to the amp.

I also have a Musiland 01 US coming. I have some theoretical questions about that I will start thread for. Should that be in the 2-Channel Audio forum?

Thanks for all your help,

BentMike