Sony 4.3 or 16.9 Directview TV?

Ufanco

Planning on buying a new Sony Xbr TV this summer/fall and going back and forth btw the 40" 4.3 or the 34" 16.9. Since the 40" 4.3 has around a 37" 16.9 veiwing area leaning more towards it. (The Sony 34" only has around a 27" 4.3 viewing size and also a smaller 16.9 viewing area)

Since either TV going have black bars either on top or the sides depending on viewing source (don't like the stretch mode's) is there any reasons that btw these 2 TV's that buying a 4.3 is not the better ideal?

I understand that alot more programing going be in the 16.9 format in the future but there's also around 60 years of programing filmed in the 4.3 ratio to consider. I figure that this will be my main viewing tv for the next 6-8 years.(I want a plasma or DLP TV by then hopefully price will be to a point I can afford)

I just want to make sure I am not overlooking or missing something before I decide to go with the 4.3 over the 16.9.

There is a review of the Sony K-34XBR2 in the March/April "The Perfect Vision." That seems to be the 34 inch 16:9 Triniton you're considering.

The reviewer has a peeve about the lack of some types of output, it seems to be a copy protection issue.

On the other hand, the review otherwise is very favorable. Give me your snail mail if you need a copy.

The review goes to some length explaining the merits of all its built in video processing, like progressive scan and 3:2 pulldown conversion. There is also the issue that it has a tuner for off the air digital TV. It don't know if the 4:3 set has similar radio equipment.

I've seen it at Tweeter and it is very impressive. There is another unit there which is probably the 4:3 unit you're considering. It looks good too, but not quite as good.

I recognize the underlying question goes to the issue that we're gonna be viewing a lot of 4:3 sources and only a few 16:9. Each set will probably do best for the respective sources. I don't know the answer. But I'm leaning to 16:8.

I'm in the stages of aiming, but have not pulled the trigger. My first choice is the much less expensive RPTVs. But like you, I worry that it might be foolish to choose something just on price.

As you say, we'll be viewing a system for 5 or 8, (or 10) years. If you amortize a $1500 more expensive unit over that time, it is not too much. On the other hand, the savings will pay for a good DVD player and DVDs.

I can't decide. It is like going to the eye doctor. Does this look good, or does this look good. Which is better? Yikes.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 06-02-2002 at 05:51 PM

Thanks for the responce and the info on the copy protection interface (DVI/HDCP) here is one view of the issue.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_1/feature-article-digital-home-video-2-2002.ht ml

Seems like alot of people are still not aware of this issue concerning HDTV and copyprotection. DVI is the main reason I am waiting till summer/fall to buy one of these's TV. The new Sony models will have this interface. Hopefully for all the current HDTV owners out there DVI turns out never to be needed, but since it might I would rather be on safe side and buy a set with it. Sorry if I got off track from my starting post just thought others might find this info helpfull.

Back to the 4.3 v 16.9 Sony question the new 34" 16.9 does not have the build in tuner anymore . It seems both these TV have the same features (3/2 pulldown DRC ect) so its just coming down to the issue of the screen ratio and screen size.

I am glad to see I am not the only one thats unsure on 4.3 v 16.9. Since I posted this I have come across this site it gave me alot more info to consider and I felt others might find also find it worth a look.

http://homepage.mac.com/hdtv_guide/

This message has been edited by Ufanco on 06-02-2002 at 10:53 PM

I too kicked around the 4:3 / 16:9 issue recently. I decided on 4:3. A lot of people told my I was "stuck in the past". Heck, they are probably right, but I'm the one that watches the thing most of the time, and now that Ive had it a while, I LOVE it. So, all I can tell you is get what YOU want.

This message has been edited by Vavoline on 06-03-2002 at 03:54 AM

If you are going to be using it for a dedicated movie room, I would go with the 16/9 version. However, if you intend to watch other sources of media on it , myself, I would consider the 4/3 version. You are the only one to please, so take your time to decide on what is right for you.