How to tell

How can you tell if a woofer is blown. I have a set of RB15 which I just bought . Before i hooked them to test the woofers moved in and out with ease I then hooked up to my amp(B&K 200 watt per channel) at first I could hear noise from the test tone coming through at a normal volume. Then it happend I touched the woofer and it felt hot then the burnt wire smell I unhooked right away. I then touched the woofers and they both felt stiff as a rock. I then hooked up to my a/v receiver in my living room which is 90 watts per channel I could hear clear sound through the tweeters but no sound through the woofers. Does this mean that just the woofers are fired but the crossover components are ok. I did take the speaker box apart and did notice the woofer had a burnt smell and the crossover component looked visibly okay, did not notice any burn marks on the crossover.

My first observation was that these are discontinued and you probably bought them used. So maybe there was a problem and that is why they went on the market.

There could have been a badly damaged voice coils which jammed in the magnet gap -- certainly that is the case now. But you say they moved freely. This indicates that at least they were not in as bad a condition back then. But they could have been damaged.

How sure are you about the amp? There is an effect called D.C. offset. That is where a d.c. or constant volage appears at the output terminals. I would use a volt meter set to D.C. to see if there is any constant voltage. If high enough, maybe 5 volts or more, this could fry the voice coils and warp them, causing the jamming. Don't connect other speakers to the amp until this is corrected.

I doubt the crossover is damaged. The winding of the inductor(s) are usually more robust than the voice coil.

Let us know what you find

WMcD

Yes there is a problem with the channel I used to test the speaker what I noticed was I hooked the speaker to the channel in question and even with the amp off I could still hear a shhh sound through them. And then came the burnt wire smell and the woofer was hot .