Rf-3ii

tpg

congrats on your good decision (imho) tg.

1) DEMO an amp/receiver w/ them at your place. they are very efficient (98db) & will reveal harshness in source components & material quite redily.

2) see above. they get plenty loud. all you really need is a few watts but i'd look for something w/ at least 75W all channels driven, 20-20khz. iow, an amp w/ good quality power. need to demo at home.

if a dealer won't let you take a unit home for a try-out w/ the speakers then they don't want your business. & get at least 25-30% off the msrp of the rf-3II.

3) i use rf-3 in the stereo listening lounge w/ no sub & think they're more than fine alone w/ most all music material i own. again, make sure the amp has good power to push the woofers. you have to listen more than take their specs as gospel.

4) d/k on promedia, but my guess would be no, not a very good match.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

tresspasser_guy : The amplifier need not be the most powerful as these speakers require very little power to reach high spl's. Just try to get a receiver that will put out a good clean 75 watts or so -- the more power doesn't hurt as it will add to the reserve for loud transients that are much louder than the average signal.

• 1 watt = 98 db 2 watts = 101 db 4 watts = 104 db 8 watts = 107 db 16 watts = 110 db 32 watts = 113 db 64 watts = 116 db 128 watts = 119 db 256 watts = 121 db

As you can see, it doesn't really take that much power to achive high volumes. If anyone tells you that 119 db isn't loud needs hearing aids. Oh, and I think they sound really great, even without a sub. They will take a little time to break in but it's worth it. To match the sub-bass output to the sheer volume that these can produce at a 100 watt drive level would require a sub that can reproduce a 20-25 hz signal with an spl of close to 118 db , no mean feat in itself. Also, when listening to them for the first time, you will notice a definate lack of boomy, over exaggerated bass. You will think someting is missing, alas this is not - it's just that the low frequencies are really smooth compared to others.

You could try the promedia for the center and rear channels - just remember that they can't match the sheer volume - but might work ok at lower levels. Tresspasser_guy, do you have a dvd player in your computer ? If you use the output from the sound card ( if it's 5.1 ) to drive an older receiver that is 5.1 ready you can save some cash. Just remember to try before you buy, especially with used equipment.

Take your time auditioning them, don't let the dealer rush you. If he does that, I wouldn't even consider giving him my business. Take some music that you are familiar with. Just for a laugh, try some classical music or jazz and just relax, let the music play. You won't believe your ears. You will NEVER again consider BLO$E as a speaker company. Maybe blo$e has some stakes in bell.... the acoustimass swivelling cubes use the same size speaker as in your telephone hehehehe ! For a real eye opener, try finding a copy of Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morrisette. Cue up track 12 (which isn't listed), then fast forward to 5:00 into the track which is after a couple minutes of silence. Turn the volume up to about halfway and close your eyes. The song is a solo without acompanyment and will test the ability of a speaker to track this material without distorting or breakup at the highest peaks. NEVER have I heard a recording that puts forth so much emotion. Just try it on your promedia's first, You'll see.