Klipschorn - Shipping to Europe

Tamino

After considering the possibility of selling my speakers, I realized that I love them and would like to keep. So, I am taking them with me to an apartment in Europe.

Does anybody here have experience with overseas shipping of K-horns? Which company to use? What shipping cost should I expect?

Is it a good idea to try piano movers?

Thanks!

Google "Overseas Freight". Provide the dimensions and weight and place where they are to be shipped. My guess is they might cost more to ship than they are worth. In that case sell these and buy a used pair across the pond. It's a tough one, and good luck.

BMWM5

I don't know about the cost of replacing Khorns when you get to Europe but having just shipped used khorns to Australia I can tell you that buying in the US and shipping to Australia is cheaper than buying locally. Very few come up for sale here and tend to be very expensive (new retail currently over $20K)

Because of the difficulty in crating up Khorns for overseas shipment, finding a good overseas shipping company, and making sure they are insured properly, I would recommend contacting a place like Craters and Freighters first. They take care of all of this in one easy transaction.

If you contract with an overseas shipping company, remember that they usually only offer marine insurance, which only covers total loss, as in sinking of the ship. Incidental damage, like a crate falling over into your crate, or a forklift backing into it is not covered.

When we ship our large speakers overseas, we purchase insurance from a separate company for about 1.5% and decline the marine insurance.

Crating should be done with wood on all sides and some 2" foam in key places to hold the cabinets in place. Khorns should be standing upright with a piece of 2" foam between them, wrapped with plastic, and all sides of the crate should be plywood of some sort. See my Vittora webpage for some pictures of the crates we build www.voltiaudio.com/vittora.shtml

Cost varies on how much overland shipping there is, how close ports are on both ends, and what special services are required, like delivery at the other end rather than pickup at the port, tailgate service, etc... I just shipped a pair of Vittoras (a 700lb crate) from Benton, ME to Hong Kong for about $1,100 and another pair to Sweden for $900. These prices include insurance.

Good luck.

Greg

Greg, thanks a lot!

I guess, to hire somebody to do crating, but give them your instructions and be watching when they do it should work.

Would it be a good idea to put some moisture absorbers inside the package, even if we send by air? You wouldn't recommend sending by sea, right?

• 1 year later...

Hello everybody,

We got to the shipping stage!

We decided to ship more stuff than just the speakers, and are ordering a container to be shipped. Now we are having a quite unexpected complication, minor but somewhat annoying.

It is very hard to find an insurance company that would cover our stuff. They all agree to sell insurance only if we hire one of the big companies for packing our container, and we plan to hire a small local company for that job. Apparently, from the point of view of insurance companies this is "self-packed", and for some metaphysical reasons they seem to have problem with that.

Can somebody recommend an insurance company that would cover sending a "self-packed" container with relatively valuable content (a pair of Klipschorns being the most valuable single item) from the U.S.A. to Europe? We do not care whether the company is based in the U.S.A. or in Europe.

To increase the chances, I have also started a new topic, http://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/146178-insurance-for-shipping-klipschorns-to-europe/.

Please answer either here or there.

Many thanks!