KP201s

joeydingo

I recently picked up a very nice pair of KP201s in raw birch with cloth grilles. Am curious as to when they were built. The S/Ns are 8764106 and 8764109. I know what that should mean as have all the data sheets that should help me figure this out---- but these have the NL4 speakon connectors rather than the 1/4" jacks that I thought only came on the newer models made in more recent years.

Is this another famous case of the Industrial line not having serial numbers sequences that really mean anything logical, or am I missing something here? I am quite sure from looking at the input plates on both sides that the NL4s were installed at factory and not added after production.

Those be KP201 II with the NL4 jacks.

Those be something like what I hope to find at a local garage / yard sale or thrift store on the cheap. I keep looking.

Local (Kokomo, Indianapolis area) Goodwill stores 1st Saturday is or used to be 1/2 price day. Why I passed on a very nice minty good solid foosball table at $35 after 1/2 off ... well other than no space for it. But daughter and son in law don't have much furniture. Would have except for desk from another Goodwill in the Grand Caravan. But they'd hold so still should have gotten it. Carmel's not that far away.

as is usually the case in pro Klipsch, II buys you Tractrix horns too, in this case the Kp201/ HII standard K79 is upgraded to K792. And they do away with the 1/4" locking inputs (which incidentally, are the same chassis size as NL4, so it's an easy mod to make to older speakers)

Thanks Mike. Seems as though many people favor the orginal version rather than the IIs, but I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting from these. And putting a slight radius on all the edges to remove a few nicks and dents, three coats of Durabond clear laquer and adding slant risers.

As a general rule, what is the age at which you should consider recapping the crossovers? And is it age combined with use, or simply age? I have some mint KP301s that sat in dry storage for many years and saw very little use, so wondering whether that has any bearing on recapping?

I started doing my LSI's and not having a good time of it. Haven't been able to do a proper A/B but will report in the modifications forum when I get back to the workshop.

Anything with the old oil can caps (see my thread^ on 'which capacitors to use?) should be considered suspect is what I'm reading. Newer pro Klipsch will have modern caps which should never (someone will argue with this) need replacing.)

M

Re the I/II comparison. There don't seem to be that many KP201's out there. I don't know of anyone who's owned both 201 and 201 II to do a valid A/B test. Doc and I did put a H, HIP, KP201, and KP250 to test many years ago. We prefered the KP201 out of all of them. Pro has better network than home, ported sucks out LF. KP201 wins!