Harmon Kardon 990 discontinued

I have been following these for a year now with the hopes of picking up a used model for under $1000. Well now I see that they are discontinued at least through Crutchfield. Seems like a pretty short run for such a highly regarded component. Makes me wonder if the high reviews were bought through advertising dollars instead of being earned. Does it seem weird to anyone else that a flagship model would be stopped so quickly? http://www.crutchfield.com/S-DlHynQ9tBtQ/p_532HK990/Harman-Kardon-HK-990.html

Does it seem weird to anyone else that a flagship model would be stopped so quickly?

Money usually decides. As cool as its specs boast, the 990 must not be $2000 better than HK's 3490 model. Stereophile lists the 990's price at $2599. Woof!

It would be interesting to know why it was discontinued, instead of speculation.

Guest srobak

They also have a clearance/resale account on ebay.

This same thing happened back in 07 when they whacked the 645 - which at the time was their flagship 7.1 receiver. It normally sold for $1200+ and I got it for $450. It has been working beautifully ever since, pushing my RF 5.1 system. Buy the HK with confidence!