Need help, choosing amp and CD player

kaapong

Hi all

I'm in the process of building my 2 channel system from scratch. I have already decided on the speaker (Dynaudio Contour 1.3 Mk II, got a good deal on it) and now I'm looking for for amp and a CD player.

Now, I don't live in US so I'll have only a limited number of product avaliable to me, but do feel free to suggest anything.

The budget for the amp and CD player together is around 2,000 USD. The CD player I'm looking at are

Arcam CD 72

Rega planet

Sony SCD XB940 (SACD player)

Proceed PCD 3 (second hand, don't even know what it looks like..)

Linn Classik

Linn Genki

And the amps are :

Arcam DiVa 65 or 75

Rega Mira

Linn LK 85 (power)

I would also appricate any other suggestion on amp/pre and CD player.

Thanks

You might try sending a private message to TheEARS in case he doesn't see this note... he has Dynaudios, and has tried a lot of different amp / speaker combos with them.

As to the CD players, that a toughie. Accepting for a moment the fact that many folks think the differences between any two CD players are diminimus, I'd offer the following thoughts... and, keep in mind that I've only heard two of these brands, Sony and Rega, and it was a different though equivalent Sony.

I thought the Sony sounded better. The Rega sounded to me like it was editorializing a bit, adding more of a Technicolor enhancement to music. At first listen, it made the Rega sound more "alive" and "dynamic" than the Sony, but after spending some time listening closely to both (using Sennheiser HD600 phones) I thought that the Sony did a better job of presenting the differences between recordings - that is, if I listened to a couple of different versions of the Saint Seans Organ Symphony, the Sony made it easier to pick up the differences between different orchestras, conductors and halls. The Rega made each recording sound a bit more, uh, bouncy (?) but tended to make them all sound more alike.

Can't help you with the Linns or the Arcan, never heard any of either.

I'd stay away from the Proceed if it's more than a year old or so just on the general principle that digital technology is advancing so quickly that last years state of the art is this years meerly adequate.

Hope that helps.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System