RF-7IIs amp hook up?

dulcimermusic

I've recently purchased a pair of RF-7IIs and am needing to know if it would be ok to hook them up to a 300watt per channel amp(Emotiva XPA-200)? I know the specs for the speakers are 250W RMS/1000W peek but just dont know if the extra 50 watts will hurt the speaker. As of now I have them hook up to an Emotiva XPA-5 which is 200 watts per channel but after cranking the 7s up the XPA-5 is pretty warm. The XPA-5 is an amp that I had before purchasing the RF-7s and am wondering if the lack of 50 watts could be causing an issue. Speakers sound great just the amp gets pretty warm.

So would a 300 watt amp harm the RF-7s or do I need to keep looking for an amp closer to the 250W RMS? Only amp Emotiva offers close to that is the monoblock XPA-100 with 225 watts.

I'm slowly piecing together a system and am still very new at all this so any help/suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jeff

That will not hurt it at all. It's better to overpower then underpower a speaker. Clipping an amp will do much more harm then clipping a speaker. I will be running my RF-7ii's off of 2 Emotiva XPA-1's at 500 watts a piece. From what most people say it's a good rule of thump to double the RMS rating and around that number is giving you enough headroom.

Many people run their RF 7 of an avr so you will not harm them. At reference level you most likely are not exceeding 125 watts for most average home and HT. I use a 200 watt amp and the meter never goes pass 120 which is above reference level. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387083/list-of-reference-level-high-sensitivity-spl-low-distortion-speakers This a list of reference level speaker and the watts needed to get them at that level.