My PC doesn't like the mic jack on my Image ONEs

Veyron

Hi all,

I recently built a new PC and bought a pair of Image ONE headphones to go with it. By far the best headphones I've heard, but unfortunately they don't play nice with my system. Unless the jack is fiddled with, rotated, and generally finagled into an EXACT position of mostly-in partly-out, the sound is echo-y and muffled...you know how it sounds when you pull a headphone jack out halfway? So that the bands are misaligned, but you still get sound to both ears? That's what it sounds like when my ONEs are plugged all the way in. (And I really do mean an exact position. The jack needs to be pressed against perpetually, so I'm leaning a book against it. No, I don't like it either.)

The problem is mutually exclusive: every other pair of headphones/earbuds I've tried (all dual band, none triple banded) work fine with my PC. And my ONEs work fine with every other audio source, including my laptop.

The best solution in my mind is to find a 3-band to 2-band adapter, but the small problem is that the 3-band jacks are designed and built to be backwards compatible -- so I have a feeling I'm out of luck there.

I do know the 3rd band is for the mic, but that's neither here nor there.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the reply. Forget to mention some added weirdness: this happens on two different headphone jacks. One on the motherboard's rear panel, and one on the front of the case (which is routed to the motherboard as well via pinset). This means it's not a manufacturer problem, as the motherboard was built by ASUS and the case by Antec.

Opening up the PC is not an issue, but getting to the jack's seating is another story. I might give it a go as a last resort as I'm sure I'll void warranties for the parts.

• 2 weeks later...

New development: The cheap earbuds that come with smartphones (that obviously have a triple-band jack) work fine with my PC. No issues.

I really, really wish Klipsch made these awesome headphones without the stupid mic. Even owning an iPhone I'd give up the mic on my ONEs in a heartbeat if it would ensure they actually worked everywhere else. Klipsch, consider this a formal plea!