Supplying the Power

Flicker

I'm pricing my options for a 5.1 or 7.1 home theater setup with Klipsch RF-7s, and I was wondering what you guys thought would be a good receiver for this setup. Right now, I have an Onkyo TS-NX609 (100w/channel) but I'm thinking of upgrading. Someone mentioned looking for a used model from last year, specifically a Pioneer Elite SC-55, would this be enough, too much, or do you recommend something else. I'm new to this stuff, so any explanations as to "why" it would be good would be very much appreciated.

What specifications or features are most important to look for? Do I need an additional "amp" to power my receiver? (Still not sure how this works).

Thanks in advance!

Hey Flicker, You should ask this question in the "Home Theater" section. yes.gif

A Receiver is a "Processer" (also known as a Pre-amp) and "Amplifer" in the same box, so you don't NEED an additional amp. As a matter of fact, the Pioneer Elite you mention has 9 channels (9 amps) and should be plenty of amp for just about any situation, at 140 watts of class D power per channel.

But at this price, there are many options. I like Pioneer Elite, but you should also look at Marantz, Denon, Harman Kardon, etc...!

Dennie

Your receiver is fine. Set up your speakers and sub, and operate them from this receiver. If you decide you want to upgrade to a preamp/amp system, you don't need to change your speaker wiring.

You dont need an amp if you are using a receiver. You only need one if you are using a preamp. Integra is what I use in my preamp/amp setup. Integra is Onkyo sold by stereo shops, and is higher end. You can see the Integra equipment I use in my tag line below.

I'm pricing my options for a 5.1 or 7.1 home theater setup with Klipsch RF-7s, and I was wondering what you guys thought would be a good receiver for this setup. Right now, I have an Onkyo TS-NX609 (100w/channel) but I'm thinking of upgrading.

I agree that you may get better answers in the "Home Theater" section, but hear goes. I would simply start with what you already got. That Onkyo unit is actually a pretty respectable piece of its own, and the power it delivers should be plenty for your RF-7s.

Someone mentioned looking for a used model from last year, specifically a Pioneer Elite SC-55, would this be enough, too much, or do you recommend something else. I'm new to this stuff, so any explanations as to "why" it would be good would be very much appreciated.

If you are dead set on wanting to upgrade your reciever, than the Pionner Elite units are quite nice. So are the Denon units (especially anything in the 3xxx series and above range). I currently have a Denon 3802 unit on my RF-7s (although it is getting ancient by today's standards) that I've been quite happy with. I have also been hearing good things about the Harmon/Kardon units as well. And yes, even Onkyo is well respected in these circles as well. As for power, as far as I am concerned, there is no such thing as "to much" (unless you get into rediculous levels like trying to use 2,000 watt amps). Pretty much anything in the 100 to 200 watt range should be plenty for those RF-7s

What specifications or features are most important to look for? Do I need an additional "amp" to power my receiver? (Still not sure how this works).

Thanks in advance!

However, one downside I've noticed about your current Onkyo unit is that it has no pre-outs. That is one feature I would look for as that would allow you to add an outboard amp later down the line. Case in point, even though I have that Denon 3802, I am using a B&K Reference 200.7 amp to supply the actual power to my speakers (200 watts per channel, 7 channels). A good outboard amp can make a big difference, but is also a pretty significant expense as well (my B&K amp costed twice what my Denon reciever did!) Beyond that, pretty much make sure the unit you get has all the inputs that you would need (another reason why I am considering upgrading my aging Denon - pretty much ran out of inputs on the thing - those HDMI switchers can get expensive - at least good quality ones!). Also, want to look for something that supports all the latest surround-sound formats (which just about anything worth a d[8]mn now-a-days should have). Auto room correction can be a nice feature as well, although there is some controvery on that. If you have a lot of content stored on computer or NAS, a unit with network streaming capabilities (which your current unit appears to have) is a big plus. In my case, I have a seperate component that does that, a Pioneer Elite N-50 network streamer/DAC.