Speaker positioning

TroyTN

I have a pair of RF-7's and I have seen several pics of home theater systems here and some of you point your Klipsch straight ahead and some directly at the listening position and others just slightly behind the listening position.

So I'm guessing with horn loaded speakers like Klipsch there is no "correct" way to do it to get the best main soundstage?

I have read others say there is a certian way to position you main speakers to get the full effect of horn speakers. (please share)

Can anyone give me an idea how you have your Klipsch main speakers set up? I sit 10 feet away and the speakers are spaced 9 feet apart. I have moved them closer but I lose that wide soundstage for 2 channel music.

Any suggestions on getting the most from these babies and their placement?

Thanks

------------------

Troy...

This message has been edited by TroyTN on 06-13-2002 at 08:43 AM

Because of the horn design, hi and midrange frequencies are more directional, and tend not to reflect off side walls as much as a comparable dome radiator and can be very helpfull, especially in a smallish room. Audio ideas test of the rb3 bookshelf model revealed that the best frequency response is when the listening point is approx 15 degrees off-axis. My own tests confirm this as well with the rb3II's. Once you get past 22 degrees off axis, a three octave wide notch formed on the frequency responce of the rb3's. But again, don't be afraid to try different positions as not all people like the same sound.

I went through the same thing with my RF7s'. Finding a good mix between HT and 2 Channel placement was kind of tough. I found out quick that my room is far too small and acoustically incorrect for the RF7 series. I got really pissed about. I've treated, trapped, and diffused as much as I could. My room is so dead you could bury it. Still, I had various acoustical problems. It had really come down to the other side of that...How it sounded to me? After all, isn't that always the most important question.

So, I stared at the sweet spot and experimented with toe in and out. Inch by inch, I listened to each position, until the sound sort of "snapped" into placed.

It took awhile but was worth it.