Anything as good as HSU?

GotSomeSpeakers

Kits were about a grand last time I heard. Try to find a subwoofer that has the frequency range, can be maximized with one channel of of an ep2500/4000, and has equal output for a better price.

Does it need a lot of EQ ?

IMO, there is not a more competent sub than the Danley DTS-10. What you do need is an amplifier and space, cause it is not powered, and it is very big.

Here is a link to the spec sheet: http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/danley/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/DTS-10-spec-sheet.pdf

Tom Danley and Dr Hsu both REALLY understand bass and how to make it. Danley comes from the commercial sound reinforcement direction and Hsu comes from the hide it so your wife doesn't see it direction. Choice comes down to who makes what you want in terms of size, volume, extension.

JL makes contest winning car systems, and sees some money to be made from audiophiles.

Sooner or later I suspect I will have something by Danley, but I don't know when or what.