Spikes for Fortes...

chuckears

I am looking to add spikes to my 25 year old Fortes, to implement a common tweak and couple them to the floor since they sit on wall-wall medium-thickness carpet.

The spikes I am looking at are about one and a third inches tall, with options for quarter- inch or 6mm threads... am curious as to whether this would be a good choice for the Forte; I would not want to find out after I drill holes in the bases and install the inserts that these are not going to work for me:

www.oregondv.com/1375spike.htm

here is my suggestions, build a pair of four post stands about 15 inches tall and remove the stock riser on your Forte. This raises your speakers up so that the centre of the mid horn is at ear level. You can plave three spikes on the bottom pf the stand one in each of the front corners and a third in the centre at the back of the stand base. There you go no holes in your cabinets what so ever. Best regards Moray James.

below are similar but taller stands under my very modified H3.

post-46582-13819829560032_thumb.jpg

Wow... Removing the risers would be way more invasive overall to the Forte than drilling the holes in the bottom of the stands. I am pretty fond of their appearance as-is (but I appreciate the input and photos).

I assume you will not bother posting a response over at audiokarma, even though I dropped your name there :-)

So removing four screws is invasive but drilling holes in your cabinet is not? I think you need to rethink that one through.

the risers are only held in place by a few screws and frankly the riser is not a very secure base in my opinion. The issue with a Forte is that even with the riser they are too low. You need to have the speaker raised so the centre of the mid horn is at your seated ear level which is usually between 36 and 39 inches off the floor. Spiking the speaker is not much of an advantage and if you do then place blocks glued in place inside where the spikes go to insure the cabinets remain air tight. Best regards Moray James.

The spkes would go on the underside of the risers, not the speaker cabinet/enclosure itself.

I have never noted the risers to not be secure; I have always lifted the entire speaker by reaching my hand under the riser and lifting at least half the weight of the Forte just by holding the riser-section.

...but you do have me considering a mod that effectively doubles the height of the riser by building a small rectangle roughly the same height as the risers and attaching to that... the biggest challenge being to match the wood grain of the riser (it might be more practical to just go with black stain).

Just because you can lift the weight of the loudspeaker via the riser does not mean that they are a rigid extension of the loudspeaker by any stretch of the imagination and held in place by four screws. What you suggest is of course an option but not one which will look very good. The Forte riser is already a very dated looking device and extending it or setting it up on a box simply make matters worse. I think that you would have a chuckle if you saw a loudspeaker in a high end shop that had the visuals that you have suggested perhaps not each to his or her own I suppose. Take a look at a speaker cabinet which while not a
Forte is similar in size and you can see what the Stands I am suggesting actually look like under a Forte size loudspeaker. I hope that this helps and is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

post-46582-13819829619342_thumb.jpg