Newb question about SW112.

ChrisF

Hey guys I am new here, had a question about the Klipsch SW112 sub. My question is, is there any recommended settings I should use to tune this sub? I am running a Yamaha RXV-573 reciever and I have 2 Klipsch F-30's hooked up to the Zone 2, and I have the Klipsch Quintets hooked up to it as my surround sound speakers. I dont know anything about Hz when it comes to the sub, so that is really what I would like to know what I should adjust the reciver output and turn the knob to on the sub itself. It thumps pretty hard but I want to make sure I am not going to damage it by not having it on the right setting. Thanks guys.

Welcome to the forum!

The sub HZ should be disabled on the sub itself because you are using the Yamaha to do that part. To disable it, turn the HZ to the highest setting. The gain knob should probably be at about the half way point, and you should run YPAO when you have everything set.

It is unclear to me why you are using zone2 for the F-30's. Are they in another room?

I have it set up that way to have all 7 speakers on at once for surround sound. Is it not recommended to do that? The back of my reciever says bi-amp/zone b, so I figured the kf-30's would be the ones to go there since they are bi amp speakers, right? I am by no means an expert on audio, I can tell you anything about a computer or a tv, but I have no idea when it comes to audio. This is how a friend of mine suggested I set it up, he is a DJ, so I figured he would know since he deals with all kinds of audio equipment. My job doesnt really provide much training on audio, we all just kind of play it by ear or play with things until we figure it out ourselves.

I have it set up that way to have all 7 speakers on at once for surround sound. Is it not recommended to do that? The back of my reciever says bi-amp/zone b, so I figured the kf-30's would be the ones to go there since they are bi amp speakers, right? I am by no means an expert on audio, I can tell you anything about a computer or a tv, but I have no idea when it comes to audio. This is how a friend of mine suggested I set it up, he is a DJ, so I figured he would know since he deals with all kinds of audio equipment. My job doesnt really provide much training on audio, we all just kind of play it by ear or play with things until we figure it out ourselves.

I looked at your system, and what you are hooked up to is the "SURROUND BACK/BI AMP/ZONE B" terminals. In your configuration, you are using them as the SURROUND BACK speakers. This is important to know, as you will need to tell your system you have surround back speakers.

Since you have a 7 speaker system, you are not going to BI AMP anything. The correct speakers to connect to those terminals is your two rear-most speakers.

ok cool, it's no big deal for me to switch them. It actually sounds decent set up the way it is. Will it hurt anything if I leave it this way? I tested it out with the movie Red with Bruce Willis, the scene where the team of guys destroys his home with the M4's. Sounded freaking amazing.

ok cool, it's no big deal for me to switch them. It actually sounds decent set up the way it is. Will it hurt anything if I leave it this way? I tested it out with the movie Red with Bruce Willis, the scene where the team of guys destroys his home with the M4's. Sounded freaking amazing.

I am confused as to how you have wired your speakers exactly. Did you say you are bi-amping the mains? If that is so, how are you powering the rears and surrounds?

You should have:

• a cable going to the center
  • a cable going to your left front
  • a cable going to your right front
  • a cable going to your left surround
  • a cable going to your right surround
  • a cable going to your left rear
  • a cable going to your right rear

That is 7 cables total. If you are bi-amping your front main speakers, then you are sending TWO cables to each.

If you this is so, which two speakers are not getting any wires, the surrounds or the rears?

I have 1 cable going to each, everything is hooked up to the outputs labeled on the back of the reciever for how I have them set up. 2 Quintets in the rear, 2 on the sides of the room which are in the front L and R outputs for the speakers, and the center which of course is in the center output. The F-30's have one cable running to each and plugged into the bottom jacks, there is a brass bracket going from the bottom jack on the F-30 to the top jack. The F-30's are hooked up to the bi amp/zone b output.

Hi ChrisF, your speaker setup is not correct. Refer to the owners manual.

center speaker to center avr input

surround speakers to L/R avr surround input

front speakers to L/R avr front input

surround back speakers to L/R surround back input

sub to sub avr input

Setup correctly, you will get the correct panning of the sounds for a more amazing HT experience.[;)]

I would also xo everything at 100 Hz in the avr due to the Quintets.