Promedia 5.1DDMS or Quintet???

CheapoNoob

Howdy fellas. Cheap-o Noob here. As you can guess, money is an issue. I want a home theater system but for the absolute bottom dollar cost. Oh yeah, it's gotta be Klipsch. So I was originally thinking about the quintets - $900, but then I would have to get a home theater receiver so chalk up another $250, at least, for a total of $1,150, mimimum. But then I saw this deal here at klipsch.com for something called the 5.1 Digital Dream Multimedia System for $500. It has the 5.1 pro media system PLUS the promedia dd 5.1 multimedia digital decoder preamplifier. From what I can make of it, I can connect my cheap-o GE DVD player to it and voila!, instant home theater and it'll cost HALF of what the quintet / Kenwood home theater receiver setup would run me. That sounds great, right, spending $500 instead of $1,150? Plus, the 5.1 package says it'll play up to 115dbs which is louder then then 110dbs of the quintets. Comments, anybody?

PS> IMHO the $500 Klipsch 5.1 DDMS seems like a much betetr deal if you already own a DVD player then buying one of those home theater in a box kits from bestbuy or something. I priced those yesterday, and they run from a minimum $250 up to and through $1,000 plus but there were many in the $400 to $650 range (RCA, SONY, etc) and I think the Klipsch 5.1 DDMS would sound much better then any of these middle priced systems and probably on par with the $1,000 ones. Again, any comments?

You can get a decent HT system for under $1000. I got four quintets for my fronts/rears for $185. I then bought an SC-1 center off ebay for $145. After that I bought a Pioneer reciever (D509s) for $200 off ebay. Now we're up to $525. You now have plenty left off for an awsome sub Smile.gif I ended up getting an SVS 25-31pc for $450. You could get a mediocre sub for cheaper and then upgrade your fronts/rears because the quintets aren't the best. They're pretty good for HT but I'm now wanting better for music...

This message has been edited by Hipnotic_Tranz on 06-21-2002 at 05:43 PM