Length vs width

McMiRA

I would agree with derrick on this one. Length would help with standing waves. I have a Wide theater and after I deal with weeks of frustrating nodes and placement I eventually got what I wanted and the audio is superb now. I had corner placed subs. stacked corner, side by side corner ended up that the center of the viewing wall was ideal in my particular room 23 wide 11.8 by 10 high. On a side not however once I corrected the audio for the subs looks wise with the new 115in. screen I love the look and feel of the wide room. feels just like a movie theater in there for me. Either will have + and but can be worked around. I didnt have any standing wave issues with my speaker placement etc. just the subs.

If you're doing new construction, then you should go with non- parallel walls. If you can't do that, then build in spaces for acoustic treatment. The " magic" ratios operate on the principal of spreading room modes ( standing waves) so that the peak amplitudes are minimized. In all reality, you're better off planning to remove them completely...