i just snipped the wires on my rf-7ii's....(well, last week)...went active...oops...NOT !

hi again all...

well against everyone's advice (and including klipsch themselves) i hooked up a totally refurbished (to the rf-7ii's specs) luxman tube x-over (a-2003) on my new rf-7ii's...took a bit of "guts" to cut those wires....i had them "passively biamped" with a pair of Bryston 7b st monoblocks running my woofers and an Audio Research vt-50 running my horns. that already sounded great but the biamp bug had me... (i also have a sw-115 sub in there too)...i snipped those wires anyway..., at first it didn't sound any better, worse actually...it sounded good but "tinny"...i was a bit "upset" needless to say...then, i started playing with the dials on the lux...the old "luxman a-2003" is a 3 way x-over, so it's running my horns, woofers and the sub...

it is such an unbeliveable difference....(esp. when you "crank it up a bit") clear, clean, super, super crisp bass (that's adjustable...just as the horns and mids are now...) i can feel the "thump" now, i used to own a bar that had the best bands... now they're in my living room...it's incredible actually !. the mids and high's are perfect... i'm an ironworker and shouldn't admit this but..i could listen to.rhianna"s (sp?) "love the way it hurts" song all day long...lol !....Unchain my heart (joe cocker) is unbeliveable (and i've seen him live...) Aaron lewis's "black" (accoustic") rolling stone's "black"....no need to go on...

i wonder why klipsch isn't offering an external x-over ?

if anyone is ever in saskatchewan (why would you be ?) you're welcome to bring your fav c.d....take a listen....

my stuff (so far)

jolida 100a tube cd player

bryston 7b-st monoblocks

antique sound lab otl32-dt preamp (headphone amp but very nice)

audio research vt-50

luxman a-2003 tube x-over

richard grey 1200 something power conditioner

monster hts 5100mkii power conditioner

monster avs 2000 voltage regulator

rf-7ii's (with no factory warranty anymore...lol)

a pair of rf-82ii's for my surrounds runned by a yamaha m-85 and an onkyo htrc for movies....and a rc-64 center....(i can't get the "perfect" balance for movies that the onkyo offers becuase i only have my center and the surrounds coming from it....i just turn the onkyo up till it sounds good and i'm happy!)

hi,

looking back i realize that i didn't need to snip the wires (the wires are all connected to the speakers with plugs) but...i did....i did use a good silver based solder and there's no hint of any crackling or hiss...i guess my point of posting on here is becuase there seems to be so many people that think biamping is a waste of time...i just wanted to say that it's by far the biggest improvement i've done to my system. (from using just a receiver, then adding a seperate ss amp, then adding a tube amp, then adding even higher powered ss monoblocks....tube cd player, line conditioners (huge diff with those) etc. etc.) it's cleaner, fuller, louder (to the point of "feeling the bass" if/when i want) and i control the horns now...(the high channel is set to just above #1 on the luxman, the mid channel at #7 and bass at #3) i used to feel the horns "cutting into my ears" before...not so now but the highs are still very much present , just enjoyable instead of painful...