Klipsch Academy upgrade; is it worth it?

cbarth

Greetings,
I have a pair Klipsch Heresy 3 and bought a Klipsch Academy center. I was pleased with the performance and they blended together really well.
I then bought a pair of Cornwalls 2, upgraded with Crites titanium tweeter diaphragms, cast woofers and crossovers. They were a significant upgrade from the Hersesy, sounding more open, and a lot more detailed and dynamic compared to the stock Heresy 3.
The problem is they dont blend so good with the Academy. So my question is do you guy`s think upgrading the Academy with Crites titanium diaphragm and crossover would be worth it and hopefully blend in better with the Cornwalls?

Thanks,
Cbarth

I guess we both have the same question. However, I will be trying to "blend" in my Academy to my Chorus II's.

First, you have to realize that the Academy is a lot less efficient than the CW's or CII's. In that regard, you have to "tone" down the big speakers to meet the lesser efficient Academy in SPL. Best way to do it is to use an SPL meter. That way all of the front speakers, LCR, will have the same output at a given volume setting. This depends upon if your AVR has speaker trim levels.

Second, you cursed yourself by upgrading the Cornwall's with the TI diaphragms and crossover. Now, you have raised the CW's efficiency and high freq levels. Both things will work against you in trying to level-match your LCR.

I am going to upgrade my Academy first to try to bring it more towards my CII's. Then, I will look into upgrading the Chorus II's.

If I were you, I would go ahead and upgrade the Academy to wring everything you can get out of it. If you can't get the Academy to blend in with your CW's, I would suggest another CW or a Heresy as your center channel. (YMMV as everyone has different hearing.)

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that the Academy sounded good between the Chorus IIs that I have. It was not quite as efficient, but itdefinetely sounded good. I have moved on. I sold the Academy to another forum member for some cash and KG2s. That cash covered the single forte II that is now my center and the quartet that is my rear center.