svs 20-39pci - not musical?

dbImage

Hey guys,

I have been listening to the 20-39pci for about 2 months now .The exlposions in my movies are earth shattering, however, I don't think it's a very musical sub.I have the whole rf-3 collection and a ksw12 for center channel support.I think the SVS has illustrated out how poor the ksw12 really is.Anyway , I haved set the SVS to 80hz (lfe) and the ksw12(center channel) to about 100hz, the same point at which the rc-3 seems give out.The voices seem to be much richer now. I like to use "Hannable" to test my center channel voices.Both Anthony Hopkins and the "Chief Inspector" (cant remember his name) have deep voices.

Now that you guys know the setup maybe you can give me a clue as to why the SVS is not very musical.

System: rf-3 rc-3 ksw12 rs-3 yamaha rxv-1000 Svs-2039pci

Ps: next week I hope to have a Rotel RMB1075 and then the pre/pro

If your using the 80Hz fixed cutoff on the Yamaha and the gain is set properly on the sub amp I dont see why the SVS PCI would not be musical.

I tried two SVS Ultras with my now sold Carver TFM-75 power amp and the bass had immense power,definition and was anything but unmusical.

Maybe what you define as musical is this extra upper bas punch M&K and the Klipsch RSW have.

I think(no I am sure as I can be)HornEd will agree with me.SVS subs are musical,is a matter of setup.

Try placing your SVS alongside the front wall(1 foot from the wall),out of corners.Set the crossover to the highest point(let the reciever do the 80Hz cut)set the output on the sub amp to 8/10 and then from your listening chair/couch set the gain from the reciever menu.You should be able to get very good quality bass as long as retain most of its wall curling output.

Hope it helps

TheEAR(s) Now theears

TheEar(s) has never been more on point. Of all the subs I've ever owned, the SVS Ultras are clearly the most musical with more SPL's than anything at twice the price... and more.

Generally, the measure of a "musical" sub is whether it can follow fast moving musical passages accurately. My standard of excellence in that department is the Velo HGS 18 for its servo-assisted power and accuracy in a home environment. And Boa can tell you about his up close and personal experience with this fairly expensive beast.

I have had the opportunity to test my SVS Twin Ultra Tower with my KLF-30 based Legends HT... and with my fully horn-loaded music system anchored by the mighty Klipschorns with a Belle Klipsch in the middle. The SVS Ultras are one of the elite subs that can actually keep up with the Klipschorn musically.

I suspect that what you are calling "musical" may actually be some coloration you have heard and liked in another subwoofer... that is not there due to the clarity that comes with having a better subwoofer. -HornED

PS: Prior to the SVS, I experimented with three KSW-12's and a pair of KSW-15's... to have an all Klipsch system. I suspect the coloration that I found in those units may be coloring your thoughts on the SVS.

Keep us posted at how it works out. -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

hello ed. thanks for the kind words on the beast Ears & I have for sub woofage. still haven't heard the svs but they may & probably do have even better transient response than the hgs-18. iow, they should be even "quicker" for music.

the hgs-18 is excellent for the low distortion & accuracy (pitch definition) w/ music. iow, good clean bass. cwm35.gif

db, i wonder if that center ksw is muddying up the low bass w/ room response. don't think you said, but you may want to set all speaks to small & turn the crossover knobs all the way up on your subs. i.e., let

the receiver processor do all the filtering while not cutting lfe by engaging the sub(s) crossover(s).

when you get that pre/pro it should have its own crossover flexability for even better fine tuning between the bigger speaks & sub(s). then experiment away w/ some bassy 2-channel material & all the various

settings under the bass mgmt realm of the dsp(processor).

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Boa,

So I am a beast huh! cwm27.gif

Thanks a LOT

And yes the HGS18 is as clean as clean gets,bests all my other subs when clean sub bass is paramount.

The Aerial even if not servo controlled is also clean and apears faster.Hits harder and follows any music I throw at it.The Revel is no slouch,in fact thanks to the awesome EQ it gets the job done,clean,hard hitting bass.Ahhh I like all my subs,even the lowly KSW12 and 15. Smile.gif

When set up right even a KSW sub is satisfactory,its mostly in the careful setup.I know it took me a full day to set my three BIG subs in the living room(ehh a HT/muisc room)and about 4 hours to set my Sunfires andRSW subs.All these subs can sound like a mess and cancel each other if not set up right.With only one sub the setup should be much faster and trouble free.

TheEAR(s) Now theears