Rec Crossover Freq for Altec 511b/902-8T and Klipsch BassBin

nola

Rec Crossover Freq for Altec 511b/902-8T and Klipsch BassBin

Hello:

I have Klipsch Klipschorns and LaScalas from the 1975-1979 era. If I want to mate the bass bins from Klipsch and use Altec horns and drivers, what crossover frequency should be used? Mind you, the Klipsch KH bass bin is reportedly weak above 350 Hz and the LS bass bin may peter out above 400-450 Hz, one person said it was good to 600+ Hz.

Does anyone know of a link to the frequency response curves of the 511B or the 902-8T? Can these run to at least 10K Hz? As I am in my 50s, I do not think I would have much HF hearing left above 10K Hz. So could I use the K33 Klipsch woofer driver with the Altec combo in a 2 way set up? Would a gentle slope on an active crossover be recommended? (Any reccs for an active or digital xover appreciated, but MiniDSP from Hong Kong sounds good so far)

I will do a separate post on the same theme re MR94B Altec MantaRays with Altec 291 drivers - but at 16, not 8 ohms.

Thanks from New Orleans

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

In my 2004 Khorns I have added a 291-16k (replaced K55) dropped it down by 4db, added a tractrix horn of my own build and put in a Crites tweet- what a combination! The detail of the midrange and blned with the bottom and top ends is outstanding. I have learned to 'tame' the 291 as it may outpace everything else. Use a tractrix, its better than any other horn I have tried.

By the way if you have looked after your hearing you may still be getting to 12k-14k...the mind will take care of the rest. At 56 I tested at 14k in one ear and 12k in the other less a few db.

All the best

Steve