Win 98 and ram

Joe17

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not positive, but I think Windows 98 (SE) uses all the ram there is. I don't know why, but I have this ram monitor thing in my tray and unless I specify otherwise, all my ram is used all the time, even with no programs opened.

This program, ram booster, lets you specify how much ram you want free though and its pretty handy. It also monitors cpu usage.

The one thing I notice a lot, is after playing quake (which I assume uses A LOT of ram) I always have a buttload of memeory free. And instead of sucking it up for other apps right away (which windows does at startup), this free ram (sometimes up to 80 megs out of 160) just goes unused.

I hate windows.

Hmmmm...Joe, your problem does'nt sound like a RAM problem considering you have 400mgs.(that's an awful lot smile.gif) It could be a software conflict somewhere. I would recommend reinstalling Windows and if that don't work, back up all your data and reformat your hard drive. Jus a suggestion.

while i was thinkin about this i had a brain fart. I might have posted this before but: is it possible to have a linux server with a windows emulator with say 2-4 processors that work? cuz then you would have some real speed and maybe even some stability----about win2k i have games i love to play so thats kinda out of the question, which is unfortunate cuz i used to have it but ya know.

Joe: BSoD are usually not from hardware and more from software (usually Windows itsself) I used to have Win95b on this computer and used to get BSoD errors like crazy then I upgraded to Win98SE and havehad no problem. Is it the same BSoD that you get? Keep track of them and you can search for them on Microsoft's website and find what is causing it (i.e. you might need to update something) Hope this helps

Well...I'm a Graphic Designer and a Hard core gamer also(Rogue Spear BABY!!!) So as you can see, Win 98 is a must for me also. However I love the speed and stability of Win 2k. Therefor I hav a dual boot. 98 for my games and 2k for my apps. It seems to be working fine. Only down side is you may have to install certain programs in both O.S. if you require. I would recommend leaving the System File as FAT 32 for more flexibility if you do decide to do it. And you also don't need to partition. Jus a suggestion.

For questions of this variety, I use a BB at tweak3d.net. The guy there has posted all kinds of guides for tweaking your system and he talks in a few of them about windows and ram management. A quick fix is to add a couple lines to your system ini. It has helped me a great deal. If your interested, go to the site and read pc gamers tweaks guides.

The forums there are also great for complex computer questions.