AL-3 Vs AL

AKBman

Just a quick writeup on my perceived differences between the original Al crossover in my La Scalas, and the refurbished AL-3s that are on loan. The mids and highs are much more vibrant and pronounced now, whereas with the AL type, the bass seemed to be very prominent, now the speakers are well balanced. The clarity and precision of sound reproduction is incredible, these speakers are better than when they were new in 1989. I have played everything from country to jazz, pop to hard rock, classical to bagpipes, it has vastly improved my listening experience! I look forward to trying the Super AAs on for size.

with the AL type, the bass seemed to be very prominent...

On LaScalas, right? Just kidding, really, but hardly anyone thinks LaScalas have prominent bass. I though the bass was very weak on mine when using ALs.

Glad the ones on loan are working out, and I'm sure you will love the Super AAs.

Bruce

I don't use a subwoofer either, and with my newer crossovers, thought the mids were a little too prominent. I changed taps and brought down the mids a little and the balance seems very good to me now. For me there is plenty of bass but certainly not overwhelming.

Bruce

These sound great, such an improvement. I can see why people upgrade their tweeters, it was hard for me to imagine any better sound, but I'm a believer now. I have used other speakers, but I am so glad I never let these go, I have always come back to the La Scalas for their sound quality. I will be looking into the tweeter upgrade after I take the crossover plunge, and then the saving will proceed towards a tube amp.