6.1 Help Needed!

AUGIE

Just hooked up my new Klipsch speakers and they are AWESOME! I have SB2s for the front with a SC1 for the center with SS.5s in the back and a 12 inch sub for the base. My reciver ' SONY STR 985, request an additional speaker to make use of the 6.1 channels. My question is what is an ideal speaker that would work the best with my system? Do I need another center channel or another surrond sound speaker? The speaker is supposed to be placed directly behind the viewer. ANYONE HELP

augie, of course the best answer is try to demo both the sc1 & a single ss.5 from the store & see which you like best at your place w/ the right surround material.

if you do a search for like "wdst" or such you should find a lot on the debate on here. its kind of up in the air but i lean toward & use another direct center as my front center (C7). supposed to do better at tying/anchoring together the diffuse sound from the ss.

& for 6.1 discrete material when its more available (& when i get that upgrade for my processor), a direct speak would seem more appropriate for the over-head fly-over effects.

so that'd be another sc1 or two. or maybe there's another synergy center that better matches the ss.5 (?).

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Augie...I have a 6.1 setup with the Yamaha RXV-1200 and have played 6.1 formatted DVD's (I have also used the 6.1 Matrix feature with great results). I use Gladiator as my test 6.1 DVD. I would strongly suggest that you use another surround sound speaker such as the SS.5 that you are currently using as surrounds. The sixth speaker is an effects speaker that works with the right and left surround. You do not get the same use out of a rear center as you do a front center. Again the rear center is only an effects speaker.

Max

max, actually for surround matrix processing the rear center does have a lot of the same characterisics of the front center. f.e., for dolby prologic processing the front center acts pretty similar in that it uses the mono information from the L & R channels, which tends to be the movie dialogue. that's why when you play a 2 channel movie w/ prologic it seems you get info only from the front center. iow, the stereo info is relatively sparse. of course w/ 5.1 the front center has its own discrete channel but still mainly the mixers concentrate the dialogue there though some center sounds come in there. but the FR & FL are mainly for panning effects & some low bass supplement.

same for matrix in the rear center. its mainly just doing the mono info from the RR & RL channels. so in effect its just tying the surround info from those 2 channels together. so all that's needed is a direct anchor to do so.

it does depend a lot on the wall width. but w/ a wdst for a rear center doing matrix effects you could get some conflict w/ the diffuse sound from the wdst surrounds. iow, the diffuse sound from the rear center

which contains info from both surround channels could cross over the surround diffused sound itself.

and of course w/ anything w/ dts es 6.1 discrete, the rear center is a discrete channel. say a plane flys right over your head from the front center to rear center. would seem better if the rear center is a direct radiator directly behind your head to maintain the rear precision. w/ a wdst it may sound more like the plane comes directly from the front center to all over in the back.

but there are no absolutes here either way. this is about as big of a HT issue as whether to use wdst or directs for side surrounds. Smile.gif best to try both in your place w/ your stuff & see what you like. & if your receivers has dts 6.1 discrete decoding, be sure to test w/ one of those like "the haunting", 1st dvd to come out w/ 6.1 es discrete. i still need to get that "gladiator" in dts 6.1 matrix. cwm35.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page