musicmaster point one five transcription turntable

ambrosia

hello everybody ! i just acquired a musicmaster point one five turntable with a velevet touch clone tonearm ( aiwa od-90 ) i am haveing trouble adjusting or setting up the speed selector and need to know exactley where or how to install the tonearm on a new plinth that i built for it . can anybody supply me with a copy of the service manual or at least photos of the underside so i can see exactley how the speed selector control is set up .

http://jelabsarch.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Retro%20Cool%20Tonearms%20and%20Cartridges

Joe Esmilla (sp?) Shows the uni-pivot silicone damped 9" tonearms, (such as Grace) and mentioned 222 millimeters from spindle to pivot as measured from a Realistic Idler drive TT, with a Velvet Touch tonearm.

I think that's how I set mine up...

The Vinyl Engine website has manuals or information regarding the Velvet Touch, or the CalRad version...same thing...

If I recall, that may be where I found the spindle to pivot measurement.

http://www10.big.or.jp/~dh/codo/arm/arm.html

Sukuma San has some information with respect to the Velvet Touch tonearm, and other 12" types.

As far as finding a service manual for the Musicmaster "point one five" turntable...good luck! If you find one, let me know.

The speed control, (fast to slow) has a rod from the control knob that connects to a pair of magnets in a bracket. Each magnet is in-between a metal plate (like a flywheel) atop the drive motor. It works like a magnetic brake to adjust the speed.

The speed setting knob has a spring that applies tension to the idler drive wheel and bracket when a selected speed is used.

I need to adjust the tension spring, (no fun) so I could snap a pic of the underside if need be. Did you happen to do a online search of images for the Musicmaster TT? It could be helpful...

How's the idler drive wheel? Is the rubber dried up and out of round? Did you pull the platter and re-oil the spindle? The drive motor has little fabric pads on top and bottom where oil can be applied as well.

Don't tear the motor apart, unless you feel like having some real fun. I did, and I almost ruined it.

Look at the outer rim on the underside of the platter, and see if there is any sort of gunk where the idler wheel travels. As far as putting a modern cart on that tonearm? I dunno...I used a Shure 800E for awhile.

It was a real challenge to mount the cartridge in the old Kasol, and quite a weight balancing act, considering the light weight of the 800E. Not a cart designed for that arm, but I got it to work with a little more resolution.

I bought a Shure SC35C, which is a drop in replacement. It worked fine, but seemed just a bit rolled-off to my ears. Unfortunately, these plastic carts don't work very well with hum using a all metal tonearm, even when they are properly grounded. I went back to the old Stanton metal bodied variable reluctance stereo cartridge that came with the tonearm, and the hum problem went away.

I think you are the only person I've come across online that has the same "point one five" Musicmaster turntable. Most the others I have seen don't have a full base around the platter, kinda like a low-cost version of a Rek-O-Kut or Lenco.

Mike

http://jelabsarch.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Retro%20Cool%20Tonearms%20and%20Cartridges

Joe Esmilla (sp?) Shows the uni-pivot silicone damped 9" tonearms, (such as Grace) and mentioned 222 millimeters from spindle to pivot as measured from a Realistic Idler drive TT, with a Velvet Touch tonearm.

I found a measurement from spindle to pivot from a AK member with a similar turntable and VT tonearm. 8.875" from spindle to pivot.