Heresy I decorator alnico shouting

vaffa

Wire it like an E, the phase of the mids is the only difference.

Don't forget to drop the mid down to tap 1 and the tweeter to tap 2.

So I just have to connect the negative from the mid to the old positive (tap 6) and the positive from the mid to the old negative (tap 5) and that's all?

What do you mean when you say to from mid to tap 1 and tweeter to tap 2?

Thanks

Look at the brown paper that's wrapped around the core. Notice that each tap has a number next to it. Right now, a 2uF capacitor is connected between input positive and Tap 5, which is the 'input tap'.

The second capacitor is also a 2uF, and hangs between Tap 3 and tweeter positive on the network side of the terminal strip. This capacitor will now be moved down to Tap 2.

When you try to do that, you will notice a wire already soldered to that tap (Tap 2). That is the midrange connection. Desolder and remove. Cut, strip, and move down to Tap 1. Follow the wire to the terminal strip. Move the wire from midrange positive to midrange negative. While you are there, install your resistor.

When done, go back and solder the tweeter capacitor to Tap 2.

If you ever decide to add a subwoofer, you might consider reversing this modification (or not).

Quiet Hollow: not everyone has the ability to EQ their system electronically. These various resistor mods combined with some good polypropylenes sound really nice. Klipsch speakers sound pretty good to begin with, which is why they respond so favorably.

Follow the wire to the terminal strip. Move the wire from midrange positive to midrange negative. While you are there, install your resistor.

All ok until this part. In midrange negative I have a metal strip. Should I leave it there?

It connects tweeter negative to midrange negative to woofer negative to input negative

These various resistor mods combined with some good polypropylenes sound really nice. Klipsch speakers sound pretty good to begin with, which is why they respond so favorably.

I don't discount the merit of the mods at all. Changing the network arrangement will definitely change the sound, no denying that. And it's quite evident that that forum has converged on a few key, working solutions over the last decade or so.

If I had a minimalist rig, that certainly would be a route I would take to shape my system's tone.

In fact, I was looking forward to participating in the roadshow before I had to pack everything up to move....If only just for a listen, as I was/am curious as the next person in that regard.

My beef lies in the suggestions of filter network modifications taking precedence over all other formal considerations, which tends to bear the implication that they are the sole option for any audible improvement whatsoever.

My apologies Vaffa for side tracking your thread. :blush2:

..."back to our regularly scheduled program." :emotion-53:

Edited by Quiet_Hollow

Ok, I figured it out: I will just reverse the tweeter and midrange wires from the speakers.

As for the 15ohms resistor, does it go across 5 and 6 right?

No problem quiet_hollow, I'll be sure to test the speakers both standard and modify and decide which one works better for my tired ears

When someone complains about the level of midrange output, we normally gravitate towards this idea that we are dealing with someone who's hearing is a bit sensitive in that area. The Klipsch Heritage line has a reputation for having a considerable amount of "bite". Many used to show up wanting ideas on how to "tame the horn", and some time spent on other forums will reveal less than flattering remarks regarding the midrange, i.e., "earbleeders".

Of course many like them just the way they are, or so they say - because in my experience, as soon as you give them the option of having some control over the output, the first thing they do is knock off 2-3dB.

About once a week I get a call from a guy who tells me he doesn't listen real loud, sits kind of close, and likes the midrange just the way it is. It mostly works out that way because he doesn't listen loud. Folks who lean on the volume with big amps definitely like it dialed back a little.

The Heresy is problematic for the reasons already given.

Early in the thread many suggestions were given that didn't involve the crossovers. The OP even mentioned having adjusted the settings on his preamp and that it "helped". Some of us have just learned that with this particular issue, modifying the crossover is the most effective solution.

You should hear the original Heresy next to a Heresy III -- evidently Klipsch agrees.

There is no "Tap 6". I'm very curious as to which tap you are referring to when you say this. With the autoformer facing you, Tap 0 is at the top left and Tap 5 is at the top right. So then, where is your "Tap 6" at?

The resistor goes between midrange positive and midrange negative on the terminal strip.

Well, I got the crossover taken care of with new caps, the resistor and autotrasformer mod as suggested.

While I was there I got a new set of diaphragms from Bob Crites (one of the original one was in poor condition) and new gaskets for the midrange.
Also one of the woofers had a tear on the cone. I was lucky to find a cheap replacement driver and I replaced it.

As soon as I played the first record I noticed the huge difference. I don't know how to describe it, but they are now really well balanced.
What was disturbing before, it is now interesting. I can ear the people clapping their hands while the trumpet is not killing it. The bass is there too.

I played a little with positioning and the eq and it is even better.

I'm playing Thelonious Monk Quartet, some nice live recordings. Now I like those little speakers. My dog didn't leave the room, which is a good sign.

I spent some time and money but it was fun. I'm gonna play some more known records and then try without the resistor and see.

Thanks for your help