Nad s200 or harman signature 2.1?

jac23

Hi there..

i am looking for power amp to use with my marantz sr7200 reciever,i heard the harman kardon 2.1 with rf7 speakers,and liked the results,besides it is 5 channel amp.

the nad's s200 is 225 * 2 power amplifier,it has many impressive reviews,but i haven't heard them yet.

my speakers are klf 30.

i myself only interested with 2 channel audio,but i am not alone and maybe 5 channel is better idea?

if some of you are familiar with these - i'll be thankfull for any opinion/suggestion

TIA - sharon.

cwm15.gifcwm15.gifcwm15.gif

At the outset, let me specify that I am an owner of a 5 channel amp: the Marantz MM 9000. I like the performance of the Marantz, as 5 channel amps go.

However, it strikes me that the more channels you put in a box, the more compromises that are required by the manufacturer to make it all fit in a box that will fit in your entertainment center.

If you are committed to 2 channel audio, then you really would benefit from auditioning 2 channel amplification, IMHO. If you like the sound of the NAD, when you audition it, then that might be your best option.

------------------

Mike - Livonia, MI

Klipsch RF-3 L/R

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch RB-5 rears

HSU Research VF-2 Sub

Marantz SR-19EX receiver

Marantz MM-9000 Amp

NAD T550 DVD

Adcom GCD 700 CD

This message has been edited by whell on 07-08-2002 at 10:51 AM

I have several NAD amps. I can't comment on the S-200, except that the price seems a little steep.

I have a collection (literaly) of older NAD 2200 amps and they work great with Horn speakers. I use them as single channel amps in my HT. First off, you need to run them bridged, which is way over powered for a horn. You also have to bypass all the protection filters to get them to perform at low volume levils, but when you do it is a nice low priced amp. Can get in the $200 - $250 range on Ebay.

I also have a NAD 216 I use, as well as a friend of mine owns a 218. Neither of these newer amps measure up to the good old 2200.

JM