RB-3's as surrounds?

duner

I'm looking into buying a pair of Klipsch RF-3 II's and I was wondering if in the future it would sound ok to use the RB-3's as surrounds. I've heard of people using RB-5's and the reason I ask about the 3's is because they are smaller, I'm in an apartment, and also they are cheaper. I have pretty much ruled out the RS-3's all together just becuase of the shape and all. My main concern I guess is that the RB-3's will be too small and will lack enough sound to keep up with my mains. Let me know what you all think.

Steve

steve, should be an excellent choice, but as always you should probably demo both those & the rs-3 unless you've totally ruled them out. also, be best if you use a capable, well-placed sub as with either it'll probably be best to route that low bass from them to the sub (by setting them small).

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Yeah I've had my eye on an SVS 25-31 PCi for quite a while. From all the posts and reviews I read I think that should be more that addequite for all the bass I need and then some. And of course I'll have to get an RC-3 to round out the 5.1 package. I've looked at some online dealers for purchases and I've heard that SoundDistributors.com is pretty good and also authorized. I will most definantly audtion the RB-3's first though at a local dealer.

steve, no online dealers except for u-bid (discontinueds) is directly authorized by klipsch. of course the dealer probably bought from an authorized dealer but its important to note that you do not have the warranty. they do & you have to hope they stick around or you could be sol on warranty.

i shoulda said demo at home as your environment most likely will make a big dif in audio. & most klipsch dealers should allow you to take them home for a trial run.

also, there's nothing wrong w/ letting the klipsch dealer know you've been looking at some net prices in the negociating process. i've had my dealers knock at least 30% off msrp. most will usually mention the warranty/service you get from them over the net dealers. & nothing wrong w/ paying some premium for it

unless you want to roll the dice. but as usual there's no such thing as a free (or truely half-price) lunch w/ the net dealers. Wink.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Steve, boa's suggestion of using internet prices as a bargaining chip is a good one. I took a print-out of the internet prices with me when I went to a local dealer & he matched the internet prices for the speakers (without s&h). I have RB5-IIs, RC3-II, RS3-IIs & KSW12 sub. There was about a $550 difference between his first offer & what I finally paid. Nothing ventured - nothing gained. I had also purchased my Denon AVR-3802 there also & he matched that internet price as well.

------------------

Lew

Not Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll

This message has been edited by lovedrummin on 07-09-2002 at 10:21 PM