newbie question...

someguy

Alright, I realize I'm a newbie and probably low end after reading some of the technical posts. I haven't bought new speakers for about 5 years... currently have Klipsch floorstand mains (I think KG 4.5?), center (KV-1) and bookshelf surrounds, with an Energy sub.

Am now in a new house where the floorstand speakers will not work (media niche cabinet doesn't accomodate), and the ceiling has pre-wire boxes to hang speakers from the ceiling for front and rear.

Any suggestions as to which speakers would work best? I love my floorstand mains, even if they are old, but what would work instead from the ceiling?

I would probably keep the KG 4.5s in the other room just for stereo/CD purposes. I just can't fit them in the new living room because of the way the media niche was built.

The speaker pre-wire (in the front) are basically boxes in the ceiling with plates over them right now (about the size of a light switch plate), and are located in the front corners of the room about 8-10 inches away from the wall. I wasn't sure if the in ceiling speakers, which point straight down, would be good. They would certainly look the best though.

I also wasn't sure how well the compact speakers sound compared to what i had. The bookshelf size fronts might fit... not sure yet. Any expert advice?

Most people in the new neighborhood who have the same hookups are opting for the little bose speakers... But I'd rather not go that route.

There is also a center channel hookup in the ceiling, although I thought it might be better to leave that on top of the TV.

Welllll, since we are accustomed to throwing mini-cube aesthetics to the wind, I'd suggest hanging 3 Heresy's across the front!

If you can't get that done, you COULD hang some bookshelfs (like RB3s or RB5s) using a suitable shelf/platform or something that can be angled down towards the listening area. If those are still too big, consider the Klipsch Quintets.

I would tend to agree that putting front speakers in the ceiling, firing directly downward, would probably not give the best audio effects.

Doug

------------------

My System