Better Center Speaker for Quintet II

DiEGO10 -aRG-

What do you feel you are missing? I have used quintets on a 1602 in the past but now have it running sc1 with ksf 10.5s and 8.5s. The quints sounded great in my small living room(14 x 18) but lacked the size to actually make it an experience, especially only being driven by 50watts on tile floors. I moved them over to my bedroom and ran them off a 1402 and they do much better in here with the carpeted floors even though the room is larger (18x20). I have found that they sounded best in my living room when they were ceiling mounted and the center was above my tv.

Hi McMiRA, thanks for your reply.

I feel like sometimes from the Center Speaker is some sound missing, specially the lows on certain voices and sounds. I had the thought that with a bigger woofer center speaker, like the SC1 that would be fixed, given the better low freq response.

According to specs, my current goes from 120Hz-20kHz3dB and the SC1 60Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB.

What do you think?

Will it be a good upgrade or should I get better Front LR aswell?

I love the size of the Quintet, and the bigger size on the Center to me.

I currently have it below my LED, would you suggest trying its sound moving it at the top?

Thanks again for your help!

The center is the most important channel in surround followed by the fronts then sub. Since most of the content comes from this channel it's important it creates accurate sound. My suggestions first would be to play with placement and your settings on the receiver. I have my center cutoff set to 100hz and my sub set to lfe + main @ 120hz, that way all content goes to the sub. The sub itself is crossed over as high as the plate amp goes since I can't disable it. Rerun audyessy when you move the center. If you have any acoustically reflective surfaces between you and the center try to avoid them (coffee table) if the center is below listening position, make sure nothing is covering it like above shelf in an entertainment center and make sure it's aimed up to you. If it's even with your position in height and its on a shelf slide it to the front so it's not reflecting off that shelf. Mines above the tv aimed slightly under my position when sitting in bed. This makes it slightly over me when I'm siting at the couch at the foot of the bed. Works well in my situation. If you are still dissatisfied see if you can barrow a center before you commit to one. It might not be the answer.

Edited by McMiRA

McMiRA,

My KSW12 is at it's max.

All Speakers are set as Small, the Bass set to LFE+Main and the LFE set at 250Hz, which I believe is the max signal sent to the Sub.

After all, I still believe that adding a SC1 as a replacement for my current Quintet II Center would be an enhancement, because of its larger Frequency Response.

Would you believe the ring of the SC1 could match the Quintet II Fronts?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...