Harman Kardon AVR-7200 and Panasonic 4 Channel Turntable

Hi.

I've got a problem in that I have an HK AVR-7200 and a Panasonic 4 channel turntable model SL-800. The turntable must be from the 80's, I think. Just as an FYI - my speakers are two Cornwalls, two Synergies as surrounds, and two old Radio Shacks as rears. :)

I can't figure out which input on the AVR-7200 to use for the turntable. When I try TAPE I get a buzzzzz. I get the same buzz from VID1. I assume all channels will buzz. There are four outputs on the Panasonic for 4 CH FRONTs and 4 CH REARs. I'm running cable from the R and L fronts only.

I remember from the old days that a turntable requires a "special" input, maybe because of lower (higher?) voltage output from a turntable. I'm not sure how that works or if I remember correctly.

Does anyone know if what I'm doing is even possible with an AVR 7200? I have an AVR 7300 as well.

Thank you!

Mike Gallery

Crystal Lake, IL

Thanks for your help. As it turns out the Panasonic turntable needs a couple of the little wires reconnected that run from the cartridge to the interior of the unit. I don't know why someone disconnected and reconnected them but they are super super small and I don't know how to strip these wires much less solder them.

f you know a way to strip wires that are probably 2 to 3 millimeters in diameter I'd love to hear about it! If I could reconnect those wires I'd be good to go. I had it working until a wire or two came loose.

Thanks.

Mike

Mike,

Your turntable puts out a high level signal, so you have to treat it like any other high level input to your AVR like tuner or CD player.

It does this because Panasonic put in this SL series a Strain Gauge Cartridge.

It is alot different than a MM, or MC or Ceramic. It works on a different principle.

Inside your turntable on the other side behind your jacks you will find an about 4x8 inch circuit board.

It supplies Voltage anywhere from 12 to 15 VDC down to the cartridge.

I have found that a strain gauge is the most dynamic cartridge you can get for little money these days.

The circuit board is commonly referred to as an interface board. The board quality is not super, but its not bad. It was mass marketed turntable.

Building your own interface module from circuits found out on the internet while may be a pain, will get much better sound than what is inside your SL-800.

About 10 days ago a buddy and I took out the interface board and power cables from an SL-701 and placed the strain gauge cartridge on his Technics Sl200 series turntable and it blew away the MM he had in it before. It was either a Shure or Audio Technica. We were stunned with how great the sound was.

The cartridge is worth more than your turntable. With a great interface box, you will probably never go looking for another style of cartridge again. JICO sells replacement stylus for around $112.

The turntable originally sold with a Panasonic EPC-451C/Semiconductor Cartridge. If yours is this model, then it is a keeper. Pansonic also made other strain gauge cartride models, so the cartridge number may differ but will be close.

Search some on strain gauge or the Panasonic cartridge model and read up on the accolades.

Go to Soundsmith on the internet and price their systems and you will agree with its value.

A few years ago interest in these cartridge swelled. If you want to sell it, you probably would have no problems.

Connecting a non strain gauge cartridge to the interface supposedly can seriously damage the cartridge as electrical current is going through the cartridge. So, maybe the damaged wires were from someone who was trying to hook up another type of cartridge to an external phono preamp.

Enjoy.

Edited by Wrinkles