1st time HT help!

cwodwrth

I'm trying to build myself a HT in a 12'x13' room. I've found that I can get a set of either of these for roughly the same price:

SB1 SC.5 SS.5 w/ KSW10

or

Quintets w/ KSW12

They will most likely be connected to a Harman Kardon AVR 220 w/ a sony dvd player. Any recommendations or reasonable upgrades on speakers/reciever?

THANKS!

IMHO, get the SB-1/SS.-5/SC-.5 combo, but get the 12" sub. I know that's a bit more than the 10" sub, but it will be worth it in the long run.

The Quintets are fine speakers (I bought a set for my Dad). But overall, the System 6 is a better choice, plus it will carry music better for you as well.

Don't know anything about the HK receiver. Also look at the lower end Denons (1602/1403) or the Outlaw (available only via the 'net).

Doug

------------------

My System

I agree with Doug.

Go for the system 6 set up.

IMO it has a fuller, richer sound.

Probably, because they have an overall better frequency response than the Quints.

Quintets:

Main/surround - 100Hz-20k

Center - 120Hz-20k

KSW12 - 26Hz-100Hz

System 6:

SB1 - 60Hz-20k

SS.5 - 70Hz-20k

SC.5 - 70Hz-20k

KSW10 - 29Hz-120Hz

Both are good combonations

Good luck with your choice.

Looking for some input from the mods here, but I believe the ".5" models are voiced to be the best match to the SB-1. Were you to get the SB-2/3, then I believe the "-1" models would be the matching center/surrounds. Mind you, this is just from observing -- I've never listened to them all together to see which sounds best.

Re the KSW-15 --- I think it depends on your HT/music mix. I believe this will do very nicely for HT (big booms), but might be a little less accurate/articulate for music than would be a 12". The 12" seems to be a great compromise for both HT and music. Again, depends on your primary interest in the system.

Doug

------------------

My System