max. recommended X-overpoint for La Scala?

Daan

Buddy of mine has LS's with the bassmod; opened doghouse, two ports in each closed backpanel..

Now he wants to try out a 2-way setup like I did with my University Classics; is it possible for the LS bassbin to reach high enough for a mid-high horn to take over...?

What would be the maximum recommended crossoverpoint and slope so he would know what mid/high horn to look for?

Thanks,

Nico

If you look at the frequency response of djk's La Scala ported bass bin (with hornresp inputs and schematic horn configuration):

LSspecial.jpg

...you can see that the answer is more related to what kind of crossover your friend is using. If you're using an active crossover, you can cross in the 600-700 Hz region or even higher if you're willing to do some equalizing and level (re)matching of the midrange and tweeters.

The biggest issue in crossing at higher frequencies in terms of sound quality is the effect of having two bass bin mouths that will begin to interact with each other, producing diffraction, or otherwise called "picket fence" filtering of the bass bin response at the upper frequencies.

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

Thanks Chris, we already thought it might be possible to crossover at 700; he wants to go active and try out a miniDSP just as I do meaning he will be able to choose from 6 up to 48Db/oct and various types of filtering.

Now all he has to do is finding a suitable horn-driver combination which is capable to take over from there.....gonna be a big one I guess. ;)

Nico