Fisher 800C Problem

Greetings Gentlemen,

I made the move and replaced my selenium rectifier on my 800C with a 6A/250PIV silicon from Radio Shack, but I have a small problem.

I made a wiring diagram before I removed the rectifier attached the red wire from the transformer to one of the AC terminals of rectifier, ditto for the brown wire fron the transformer to the other AC terminal of the rectifier. I hooked the - to the bare wire that goes to the filter cap and a white wire that goes to the front of the chassis, I am assuming that it goes to the 12ax7's, that's the way the original was hooked up. To the + terminal I soldered the 15 ohm cement resistor and a purple wire that goes back to the filter cap, again that was the original hookup. The resistor on the cap was a 8.2k so I replaced it with a 5.6k to raise the negative voltage to the tubes from -15v to -21v.

The voltage off of pin 6 of the 7591 was still only about -17V but I fired it up anyway, and here is the problem. It sounds fine at low volumes, but it does not seem to have as much power, half way is about the same as 3 on the dial before. And if you increase the volume any past half way the sound gets thin and distorted. The transformer runs a lot cooler, but frankly it sounds like crap, compared to before.

What did I screw up? Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Greg

This message has been edited by Gregorius on 07-29-2002 at 09:49 AM

I fixed it, it was the infamous (Cold Solder Joint)

------------------

HK AVR20 II

Toshiba DVD

32" Toshiba TV

Odyssey Stratos

1976 LaScala's Front L&R

KV-1 Center

KG 1.5 Rear L&R

KSW-12 Sub

Two-Channel

Fisher 800C Receiver

1976 Klipsch LaScala's