SVS Subs in the House/Wife not so Happy

the borg

Married life has its moments. Well, I sneaked them in, but I could not hide the boxes. Women...can't live with 'em, yada, yada..." I told her they are two giant humidifiers. Anyway, the two EXTREMELY BIG 16-46CS subs arrived three weeks after placing the order, and I hooked them up last night. First off, damage. The strips of black latex that encircle the bottom of both subs are partially unraveled. I assume this can be fixed using super glue.

After unhooking the trusty ole' klipsch ksw300 and unceremoniously shoving it out of its corner, I managed to maneuver the subs into a position so that they both shared the same corner. Everything was included in the packaging, including the RCA adapter for my Monster M-series sub cable, which I ran from my Denon 5800 receiver to the Samson Amp. Yikes! I need more cables! A quick dash to the nearest Best Buys and the purchase of a pair of Monster Z1 series cables (oh, my. Is that Ben Hur on the shelf? Gotta' have it!).

I connect the cables and insert the RCA adapter into the channel port #1. I turn on the Samson amp, the Denon, Sony S7700 DVD player, and my 60-inch proscan rptv. I set the sub level at the recommended +6db setting. I then put on dts sampler #4, SPR scene, crank up the receiver volume to -19db...and...nothing! Oh no, I'm thinking, I'm headed for the same problems as some of the other guys on the htf thread! (pregnant pause). Wait a minute! Did I turn the volume up on the Samson as recommended? No! What a concept! You actually have to turn the volume thingy up to get some boom thingy's from the big cylinder thingy's! I knew that. So, I turn both volume dials all the way to the right, as recommended, for maximum output. Problem solved.

Now I start the DVD. Good God! I'm gonna' be deaf! Who the hell plays these things at that volume level? I lowered the receiver's .1-lfe level to +4, and both volume levels on the Samson to the -10db (two-thirds of the way to the max position), hit the play button on the remote and...nirvana. I can die in peace now. I have heard the lowest of the low. The truth is not out there anymore, it's in my basement. These two humidifiers are incredible. The resonant boomness of the klipsch sub is gone. And as good as the klipsch is, I am hearing and physically experiencing bass like never before (except in studio lot theaters). The Haunting excerpt on the sampler is truely frightening, and I was concerned my neighbors might hear this even from underground (don't want to make a bad impression, since I recently relocated to Maryland). On the dts sampler music video "Pretty Woman"...'dem footpeddles, 'dem footpeddles." Now put in the DD Sampler. Wow! That train just ran through my house! Even with all the clean bass, there was no discernable pressure on my eardrums. All those SPL meters and gages, I don't know from, but, I've been a producer/director/writer for a long time, and every week I spend a lot of time in edit bays and post houses, and I do know when it sounds "right". SVS sounds "right".

Another DTS Sampler: Titanic...that iceberg ripped my screen and ceiling apart, and when that ship broke in half, it resonated like I was watching it in the Zanuck Theater on the 20th Century lot. Incredible! "Daylight", the tunnel scenes were so scary and realistic (being a Vietnam Vet, I know what explosions sound like), I had to play the sampler again.

I don't have a big space to play around with, but these subs are very manageable. Bye bye boom...hello dts theater sound.

Now, all the SVS humidifiers have to do is...clean the air.

We are the borg...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I live near Philadelphia. Just as you would suspect, the air is extremely dry here.

To remedy that condition, I purchased a pair of 20-39cs "humidifiers", with a special Samson ionizing attachment.

As I experimented with my SPL "humidity" monitor from Radio Shack, the room became very humid, almost to the point of having no windows. The "humidity" was peaking near 118-120 db and the wife immediately started complaining about our new, more comfortable environment.

The added "humidity" must have had an effect on my dvd collection, becuase all of a sudden, each and every disk had different characteristics, heretofore unknown levels of "humidity", almost to the point of aiding digestion.

So, with my Belles blasting and the "humidifiers" on full, I can enjoy a comfortable, refreshing evening, by myself. The wife usually goes upstairs to escape the added moisture and I am left by myself to enjoy the climate and to watch insects crawl out on the carpet and die.

The new, high levels of "humidity" have even caused my kid's guinea pigs to squeal with delight and run around in the cage as if they were out in the spring weather.

If any of you have "dry" rooms, by all means, buy some SVS "humidifiers". You'll enjoy the change.