CMS and VAS specs. How accurate are they?

mustang guy

This is something that came to mind when I realized they are dependent on a couple of factors. The first factor is the stiffness of the suspension, or the spider and surround material/shape and size, and perhaps to a lesser extent the vacuum in the former or the dustcap porosity.. The other factor is the manufacturing tolerances, which according to wiki are 20-30%.

A new speaker will definitely be more stiff than a broken in one. To me, that means both the CMS and the VAS are changing with use.

Does it occur to others here that measuring a broken in driver would be a smart thing to do after break in, so the enclosures can be modified with such things as polyfill, port dimension changes, or even enclosure volume enlargement or reduction?

Edited by mustang guy

I have a tendency to think the VAS and CMS specs from manufacturers are from fully broken in drivers.

Does anybody know if this is true?

This is the way we use T/S parameters to design with. All drivers go through a break-in procedure. I am pretty sure this is common in the industry.

That makes better sense. I don't know why it didn't occur to me before I created this thread. 

Has anybody tested a vintage driver to see how an extremely broken in driver has changed?  Some of the Heritage speakers in use today probably have tens or hundreds of thousands of hours on them.

Edited by mustang guy