Edit: I though that this 3rd set was okay, but it's not...

KilleR

Hello everyone,

My first PMs4.1 had a constant hiss and the mid-bass distorted at mid to high levels.

My second set of PM4.1: Extreme distortion of mid-bass at low levels.

My third set of PM4.1: No problem yet. Awesome performance from the sub. Clear and crisp sound from the sats. Finally, I can put them at approx. 90 dB with no audible distortion.

So I thank Klipsch for their great service. If anyone reading this post is thinking about buying Klipsch products but hesitates because he/she is afraid, after seeing some people gettting 2 defective sets (like me!), well don't be afraid. If you buy it at a good place like Dumoulin, where they care about the customer, there won't be any problem.

EDIT: See below, I have the same problem with my 3rd set.

This message has been edited by KilleR on 08-12-2002 at 09:05 PM

Congrats! It's good to know that you finally got the right system. Please tell me about your experience with first two systems, were the problems obvious or you found those problems after some listening. I need to know this as my cousin has bought this system for me in the US but hasn't heard it extensively. Just hooked them up, listened to them for a few minutes and then packed them up again. According to him they are AOK. But please let me know of your experience so that i might advise him accordingly.

quote:

Originally posted by Bohemian_Rhapsody:

Please tell me about your experience with first two systems, were the problems obvious or you found those problems after some listening.

I noticed the constant hiss on the 1st set as soon as I plugged them in. It wasn't caused by my soundcard. Klipsch told me it was "normal audio white noise". Yeah right. Not when it can be heard 4 ft away. On that same set, I only noticed the mid-bass distorting (caused by bad amp) after approx. 3 days. That's because I had not played music with strong mid-bass before (ex: cello, piano, guitar, organ). (But I do believe this problem showed up gradually.) I really had to pay attention to hear that distortion though.

On the second set, that same kind of mid-bass distortion was worse. I immediatly knew they weren't working right because as soon as I got my speakers, I checked for that problem by playing a specific song that was causing distortion.

Both times, I knew that the distortion was caused by the amp, because: 1. I checked with Grado Prestige headphones, no distorion. 2. I checked with a Nakamichi reciever and Cabasse loudspeakers, no distortion. 3. I plugged one of the sats through a headphones output of my reciever, no distortion.

I think that your cousin should check to see if everything's okay when there is no sound coming out from the computer, and when playing high-quality mp3s or CDs at moderate to high levels. When playing songs with strong mid-bass content, he should be able to really push the speakers loud (86 dB to 96 dB) with no audible distortion. There could be a slight distoriton if he sets them to max. The sub must not sound boomy, and the tweeters shouln't hiss when there's only bass or mid-bass.(This also happened to me on my first set.)

I hope this helps. Sorry for the long post.

Guest Anonymous

Check out the posts on the Customer Service forum. See if that doesn't change your mind. If I were you, i'd just get a refund on your speakers and look into buying a CrossFire or the new LogiTech Z-560. I haven't heard of ANY complaints from users of those products yet. Here's a good review on it:

http://www.3dsound.com/reviews/Z560/index.html

Thank you KiLLeR for your reply. I have asked my cousin to perform a few tests on the system just to make sure, i hope to hear good things from him. Hey, i am sure you must have listened to Creed's "With Arms Wide Open", does the beginning of this song have the type of sound that distorts the speakers. And also the beginning of "Butterfly" by Crazytown. Please let me know.

mililaniguy i have auditioned the Z-560 system for myself and found it to be disappointing in terms of quality. People do find it good though. Plus one thing, the Z-560s are not trouble free, they are well known for blown amps, i have heard of people on their third sets etc. You have had a really bad experience with Klipsch and nothing is going to change your mind now. But my case is opposite, i have had good experiences. All my friends are enjoying their Promedias thoroughly for the past 1 year now. I haven't found any multimedia system that matches or surpasses the quality of the promedias ( with the exception of PM 5.1 $399, 510D $349 and ofcourse the crossfires $450), but they cost you more as well. The Z-560s are not quality speakers in terms of my experience and opinion, I would rather buy the PM 2.1s.

The guitar song was "Starless" from Rurouni Kenshin. Yep, this song sucks. It was one of those songs that I randomly download from KaZaa. "With arms Wide open" has too much high freq. content. You'd only be able to distinguish the amp distortion (caused by mid-bass, but transposed to the tweeters as well) from the mid-high frequencies if you have good ears.

I've read something interesting on GameSpot once. In their review of the PMs: "This set offers the richest sound and most raw power available at its price range."

"Big spenders are being lured by high-end imports from UK-based VideoLogic that rival Klipsch's speakers in sound quality, but at nearly twice the price. However, for now, the ProMedia 4.1 speakers remain the most versatile and immersive desktop solution at a price that's worth paying."

In my case, I simply don't want to pay approx. 800 $CAN for computer speakers. Plus I don't know of any place here in Montréal that sells VideoLogic products.

I will probably never buy anything from Altec Lansing, Logitech or similar companies.

P.S.: The rest of Gamespot's review is crap, I know. But 3dsoundsurge doesn't really say anything about the price...

Correction: After 3 days of use, this 3rd set now distorts. I'm desperate. Tired. WHY CAN'T I HAVE A SET THAT WORKS PERFECTLY ? Damn it. I like the sound of the ProMedias, but obviously not when they start to distort. I should have never put my hard-earned money on this.

Nope, it's not low quality mp3s. 320 kbits/sec is high quality I think... The problem is present even with CDs.

I plugged the speakers in another appartment, that has a completely new electrical system (in case it would be a power issue) and there was the same problem. Maybe I should try them at my friend's house, but I believe Klipsch would've told me if it could've been a power issue...

• 1 month later...

Killer:

You are contradicting yourself. You said the 3rd set is awesome and told us not to be skeptical about the product. You even said you were lucky to have been offered suck great customer service.

Haha! You got suckered dude! I feel for you. I'd be picking my balls about it too if my 3rd set didn't work.

Best of luck. If you pay me I can get you a brand new set guaranteed no problems from Canada. I won't charge anything, just my cost.

Let me know!